From: Wil on
Please bear with the long intro for this. We have a system loaded with
Solaris 10 / Update 3. Our 'lp' interface scripts are custom written
to execute 'sftp' calls, and if that should fail, the script executes
'lp' again with the same options. User log files are owned by the
invoking user. System log files are owned by 'lp'. The 'sftp' call is
invoked as the calling user, not 'lp'.

We are in the process of upgrading to Solaris 10 / Update 8 and the
process has changed. Now the user log files are owned by 'lp' and the
'sftp' process is invoked as 'lp', not the calling user.

To me, the latter is what should happen but, it's messing up all of
the 'sftp' calls.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause the change? Is it just the
upgrade? If so, is there a method to revert?

I've already checked all the groups and other online info I can find.

Any help or follow up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wil
From: John D Groenveld on
In article <a5e18f31-9cfb-44c2-8cbf-218977da7e50(a)24g2000yqy.googlegroups.com>,
Wil <WilArtman(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>Does anyone have any idea what would cause the change? Is it just the
>upgrade? If so, is there a method to revert?

I'm not sure which patch changed the behavior but you're probably
going to have to open a service request with Solaris support to
determine the how and why.

If you used LiveUpgrade to upgrade to the recent S10 update,
you can revert easily and then use Martin Paul's PCA to only
apply those patches which don't touch the Solaris print system.

You might also be able to replace the packages which make up
the print system with those from the older media.

Happy hacking,
John
groenveld(a)acm.org
From: mlstarkey on
On May 8, 12:55 pm, groen...(a)cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) wrote:
> In article <a5e18f31-9cfb-44c2-8cbf-218977da7...(a)24g2000yqy.googlegroups.com>,
>
> Wil  <WilArt...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> >Does anyone have any idea what would cause the change? Is it just the
> >upgrade? If so, is there a method to revert?
>
> I'm not sure which patch changed the behavior but you're probably
> going to have to open a service request with Solaris support to
> determine the how and why.

you could do that if you have a contract and they will explain how
much the print system changed after U5 and that the latest print patch
should be applied, but they cannot fix the custom lp scripts.

> If you used LiveUpgrade to upgrade to the recent S10 update,
> you can revert easily and then use Martin Paul's PCA to only
> apply those patches which don't touch the Solaris print system.
>
> You might also be able to replace the packages which make up
> the  print system with those from the older media.

I strongly recommend against that. It creates a mess and doesn't
work.

Printing changed big time b/t Solaris 10 U3 and Solaris 10 U8. Start
here:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-7355/printconcept-42?a=view

since the question/issue seems to revolve around file ownerships and
privileges

> Happy hacking,

OTOH, if that is the goal, then have at it and enjoy : )

From: Wil on
On May 10, 7:46 am, mlstarkey <ukelu...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 8, 12:55 pm, groen...(a)cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) wrote:
>
> > In article <a5e18f31-9cfb-44c2-8cbf-218977da7...(a)24g2000yqy.googlegroups.com>,
>
> > Wil  <WilArt...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> > >Does anyone have any idea what would cause the change? Is it just the
> > >upgrade? If so, is there a method to revert?
>
> > I'm not sure which patch changed the behavior but you're probably
> > going to have to open a service request with Solaris support to
> > determine the how and why.
>
> you could do that if you have a contract and they will explain how
> much the print system changed after U5 and that the latest print patch
> should be applied, but they cannot fix the custom lp scripts.
>

> > If you used LiveUpgrade to upgrade to the recent S10 update,
> > you can revert easily and then use Martin Paul's PCA to only
> > apply those patches which don't touch the Solaris print system.
>
> > You might also be able to replace the packages which make up
> > the  print system with those from the older media.
>
> I strongly recommend against that.  It creates a mess and doesn't
> work.
>
> Printing changed big time b/t Solaris 10 U3 and Solaris 10 U8.  Start
> here:
>
> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-7355/printconcept-42?a=view
>
> since the question/issue seems to revolve around file ownerships and
> privileges
>

> > Happy hacking,
>
> OTOH, if that is the goal, then have at it and enjoy :  )
>
> > John
> > groenv...(a)acm.org

Many thanks for the feedback. It surely sounds like the best course of
action is actually two-fold. 1) Open a call with Sun/Oracle about the
changes and 2) review and modify the local interface files and scripts
to accommodate the new LP system.

Wil

From: Richard B. Gilbert on
Wil wrote:
> On May 10, 7:46 am, mlstarkey <ukelu...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On May 8, 12:55 pm, groen...(a)cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) wrote:

>>> I'm not sure which patch changed the behavior but you're probably
>>> going to have to open a service request with Solaris support to
>>> determine the how and why.
>> you could do that if you have a contract and they will explain how
>> much the print system changed after U5 and that the latest print patch
>> should be applied, but they cannot fix the custom lp scripts.
>>

>>> If you used LiveUpgrade to upgrade to the recent S10 update,
>>> you can revert easily and then use Martin Paul's PCA to only
>>> apply those patches which don't touch the Solaris print system.
>>> You might also be able to replace the packages which make up
>>> the print system with those from the older media.
>> I strongly recommend against that. It creates a mess and doesn't
>> work.
>>
>> Printing changed big time b/t Solaris 10 U3 and Solaris 10 U8. Start
>> here:
>>
>> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-7355/printconcept-42?a=view
>>
>> since the question/issue seems to revolve around file ownerships and
>> privileges
>>

>>> Happy hacking,
>> OTOH, if that is the goal, then have at it and enjoy : )
>>
>>> John
>>> groenv...(a)acm.org
>
> Many thanks for the feedback. It surely sounds like the best course of
> action is actually two-fold. 1) Open a call with Sun/Oracle about the
> changes and 2) review and modify the local interface files and scripts
> to accommodate the new LP system.
>
> Wil

This sounds as if somebody just installed a software upgrade without
understanding what was involved. ANY software upgrade changes
something. Sometimes a lot of somethings get changed. You're supposed
to understand the effects of the upgrade *before* installing it in
production! Ideally you should have a means to easily restore the
status quo ante in case the change breaks something.

On rare occasions the upgrade is transparent but you can't count on it!
Sometimes, the upgrade is worse than what you had to begin with!!

Many IT departments will build a test system on their second best
hardware just to make sure that: they can install it properly, and that
the new software works at least as well as what they have been running!

Doing it right costs more money up front but, in the long run, it will
save you a good deal of money and embarrassment!