From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Barry Margolin wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> A directory has no "properties". I assumed that "content" was meant
>> instead, so ...
>
> Of course it does. It has the same properties that ordinary files have:
> owner, group, permissions, mtime/ctime/atime, size, etc. These are the
> things displayed with "ls -ld <directory>".

So far that is only *your* definition. In Unixes a directory is "[a] file
that contains directory entries" whereas a directory entry is "[a]n object
that associates a filename with a file", and a file is "[A]n object that can
be written to, or read from, or both. A file has certain attributes,
including access permissions and type. File types include regular file,
character special file, block special file, FIFO special file, symbolic
link, socket, and directory. Other types of files may be supported by the
implementation." (SUSv3, 3.128, 3.129, 3.3163)

PointedEars
From: Jerry Peters on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:
> Barry Margolin wrote:
>
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>>> A directory has no "properties". I assumed that "content" was meant
>>> instead, so ...
>>
>> Of course it does. It has the same properties that ordinary files have:
>> owner, group, permissions, mtime/ctime/atime, size, etc. These are the
>> things displayed with "ls -ld <directory>".
>
> So far that is only *your* definition. In Unixes a directory is "[a] file
> that contains directory entries" whereas a directory entry is "[a]n object
> that associates a filename with a file", and a file is "[A]n object that can
> be written to, or read from, or both. A file has certain attributes,
> including access permissions and type. File types include regular file,
> character special file, block special file, FIFO special file, symbolic
> link, socket, and directory. Other types of files may be supported by the
> implementation." (SUSv3, 3.128, 3.129, 3.3163)
>

> PointedEars

So? I don't understand your point, note "[a] file that contains directory
entries", so a directory is a file, it has attributes. The attributes
happen to control access to the directory entries.
If I'm having certain types of access problems, I need to know the
protection modes and owner and group of the directory, ie, its
attributes, to understand why I can't access a file, or rename or
delete the file.

Jerry