From: Kevin on
Art Martz <artmartz(a)triad.rr.com> wrote:
> Well, I took a little drive over lunch to a near-by hotel that I knew
> had wireless access, and *Success!*. It also turns out that the above
> error message is linux's way of saying "I can't find a wireless router."
> When within range, ath0 just configures, without any additional messages.

Could you please post your recipe of success? I know it's sort of in
the trail of posts, but some of those are dead-ends.

Thanks....

Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.
From: Art Martz on
Kevin wrote:
> Art Martz <artmartz(a)triad.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm not within range of a wireless router right now, but I was watching
>>the boot-time messages as it configured ath0. What I got was:
>>
>>Determining IP information for ath0:
>>/sbin/dhclient-script line 12 3 command not found failed
>

> /sbin/dhclient-script is part of the dhcp-client package. Have you got
> that package installed? If so, what's on line 12 of the script?
>
> G'luck...

Near as I could figure, just a comment line. Trying to figure the 12th
non-comment line didn't help either. But, as I mentioned in a previous
post, you don't get this error if there is actually a wireless router in
range to provide dhcp services. This seems to be the error you get when
the dhcp service can't be found because you are out of range of any APs.

Art
From: Art Martz on
Kevin wrote:

> Could you please post your recipe of success? I know it's sort of in
> the trail of posts, but some of those are dead-ends.
>
> Thanks....

What worked for me was to give up on the madwifi stuff from the mandrake
club website, and download and make my own. The secret was a guide at:

http://madwifiwiki.thewebhost.de/wiki/Mandrake100AndDLinkDWLG520
and
http://madwifiwiki.thewebhost.de/wiki/Mandrake100AndMadwifiModules

Follow the steps in the first one "literally", and I eventually got
there. This was the first time I had to "make" a package, but I
survived. For the cvs in the first step, I first had to install the cvs
package, I can't remember if it was from the CDs or club, but then it
went as advertised. The only difference I can remember was the
ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1-12mdk/ /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/build
command, which is specific to the release I'm running. I couldn't have
even told you how to get that until I read about the uname -r command.
Cover everything in each step, in order, for ath0_pci, and except for
the final modprobe, it all worked. The
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdkcustom/net/ath_pci.ko
worked better for me, maybe because of trying the mandrake module
previously (just a guess). I think I actually used
insmod ./madwifi/ath/ath_pci.ko
but I think the ath_pci.ko file is the same both places.

Just roll up your sleaves and dive in!

Art
From: Art Martz on
ghaze wrote:
snip

> source=madwifi_g,ath0,ath0src
>
> I also have an ag card, btw. Mine only works with madwifi_g. YMMV

snip

I have Kismet working. I see where you can sort the display entries by
signal strength, and that seems to work as advertised. But is there a
way to get Kismet to actually display the signal strength of each AP on
a live, updated basis? The "i" option for a single AP isn't exactly what
I had in mind. I'm looking for a new column in the standard display for
the signal strength.

Art
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4