From: Jeremiah Mahler on
debian-user list,

Debian is a great distribution thanks to the countless hours
volunteers have contributed.
But what can be done when a maintainer is not responding to the bug
reports they are responsible for?

Specifically I am interested in these bugs:
[http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=nenolod%40sacredspiral.co.uk].

Some have patches, some need to be forwarded upstream, and lots just
need a response like "I don't have time to fix these bugs, could
someone please help.".

--
Jeremiah Mahler
jmmahler(a)gmail.com

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 12:10:49PM -0700, Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
> debian-user list,
>
> Debian is a great distribution thanks to the countless hours
> volunteers have contributed.
> But what can be done when a maintainer is not responding to the bug
> reports they are responsible for?
>
> Specifically I am interested in these bugs:
> [http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=nenolod%40sacredspiral.co.uk].
>
> Some have patches, some need to be forwarded upstream, and lots just
> need a response like "I don't have time to fix these bugs, could
> someone please help.".
>
> --

Jeremiah,

You link to the bug page for a maintainer, not a specific bug or bugs.
You also don't indicate what efforts you have made to contact the maintainer
(if any), and don't appear to be offering to assist in the resolution of
the bugs.

You may get a useful response if you indicated which specific package(s)
you are interested in and which specific bug(s) you currently experience.
Offering to test or help in some fashion also tends to help motivate
people to work on issues.

Pat

--

Patrick Ouellette pat(a)flying-gecko.net
ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net Amateur Radio: NE4PO

What kind of change have you been in the world today?

* 2010-08-05 12:10 (-0700), Jeremiah Mahler wrote:

> But what can be done when a maintainer is not responding to the bug
> reports they are responsible for?

> Some have patches, some need to be forwarded upstream, and lots just
> need a response like "I don't have time to fix these bugs, could
> someone please help.".

Well, that particular volunteer is busy in other tasks or not motivated
enough to work on his packages. Indeed, help is needed there. Can you
fix some of the bugs? Do you know someone who can? Ask other Debian
developers if they can apply patches and upload new version. Perhaps
package should be orphaned but I'm not familiar with Debian's package
orphaning practices.

It's good that you noticed this and care about the package. You might be
the right person to push things forward, at least a bit.

--
Feel free to Cc me your replies if you want to make sure I'll notice
them. I can't read all the list mail.

I will look in to the bugs in more detail and see what exactly needs to be done.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen(a)iki.fi> wrote:
> * 2010-08-05 12:10 (-0700), Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
>
>> But what can be done when a maintainer is not responding to the bug
>> reports they are responsible for?
>
>> Some have patches, some need to be forwarded upstream, and lots just
>> need a response like "I don't have time to fix these bugs, could
>> someone please help.".
>
> Well, that particular volunteer is busy in other tasks or not motivated
> enough to work on his packages. Indeed, help is needed there. Can you
> fix some of the bugs? Do you know someone who can? Ask other Debian
> developers if they can apply patches and upload new version. Perhaps
> package should be orphaned but I'm not familiar with Debian's package
> orphaning practices.
>
> It's good that you noticed this and care about the package. You might be
> the right person to push things forward, at least a bit.
>
> --
> Feel free to Cc me your replies if you want to make sure I'll notice
> them. I can't read all the list mail.

Jeremiah Mahler
jmmahler(a)gmail.com

I reviewed the outstanding bugs shown in
[https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#label/debian-lists/12a43a9b406864ec]
and below is a short summary of what I think needs to be done next.
The 'TODO' sections indicate something that needs to be done by a
Debian maintainer (packaging, forwarding, etc).
The 'TODO_USER' sections indicate something that could be done by a
regular user.

#406051 qpopper corrupts mailbox when quota exceeded
TODO: forward upstream?

#437746 libgtkglext1: Program exit via window manager window close
crashes xserver
WAITING: message sent asking for info regarding video driver.

#537575 uninstallable in unstable
seems to be fixed in current version, installed OK
TODO: close?

#548383 qpopper: The PAM configuration file does not fit to the
latest libpam-modules package
TODO: patch needs to be applied and checked

#573522 qpopper: error msg.: fetchmail: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
Some difference between lenny and squeeze causes qupopper to fail.
TODO: Someone familiar with qpopper may have some insight.
Or if the user provided a more detailed description of how to
reproduce this would help.

#242944 qpopper: RFC incompliant behavior
TODO: forward upstream

#275918 qpopper ignores -R or set reverse-lookup = false config item.
TODO: report is from 2004, check if bug still present in latest
version.

#323492 libgtkglext1-dev: example can segfault
TODO: forward upstream

#337022 libgtkglext1: bug somewhere near gdk_gl_get_proc_address()
in gdkglquery-x11.c:408
reproducible bug
TODO: forward upstream

#406687 GLXBadContext error happening only with i810 driver with DRI
TODO: forward upstream?

#471483 not available on ppc
Is libgtkglext1 available for ppc?
According to
[http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libgtkglext1&searchon=names&suite=stable&section=all]
it looks like it is available.
TODO: bug is from 2008, it seems powerpc is available now. close bug?

#516088 E: qpopper: subprocess post-removal script returned error
exit status 1
It seems to be working now.
WAITING: Message sent asking user to verify if problem is still present.

#518514 pidgin-mpris: Please remove bmpx dependency
TODO: update package to remove obsolete dependency

#587984 Outdated API - please update to 0.62
TODO: update package for new upstream version

#486579 qpopper: debian/watch fails to report upstream version
uscan of qpopper says it needs a new version.
TODO_USER: verify problem is still present

#529137 qpopper: please upgrade your watch file
similar to bug#486579
TODO: merge with #486579?

#558512 Missing autoreconf to fix 554821 or similar bugs in the future
Detailed description of what needs to be fixed.
TODO: update package for autoreconf

#590543 audacious-dumb: remove shared library linking
Has patch to removed dependency on libdumb.so
TODO: check if removing dependency makes sense,
update package if it does.

There are also some wish list bugs (not shown).

--
Jeremiah Mahler
jmmahler(a)gmail.com