From: Jed on
most commands that I need are available but the "make" command cannot
be found. Would there be any normal reason for that to happen?
From: John Hasler on
Jed writes:
> most commands that I need are available but the "make" command cannot
> be found. Would there be any normal reason for that to happen?

The fact that you have not installed it. In Debian and Debian-based
distributions such as Ubuntu there is a "make" package. Other
distributions may include the "make" command with other stuff in a
larger package.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: watnne on
Maybe the path to "make" is wrong, maybe you didn't install "make"
(then you surely also don't have gcc), or maybe the path where "make"
is located needs the root to access it. Try: login as root, then
"whereis make" and see if make can be found.

From: John Hasler on
watnne writes:
> ...maybe you didn't install "make"...

Very likely.

> ...then you surely also don't have gcc...

Gcc does not require make.

> ...maybe the path where "make" is located needs the root to access it.

That is very unlikely. Any distribution that did that would be badly
broken.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Shadow on
wrote:

>most commands that I need are available but the "make" command cannot
>be found. Would there be any normal reason for that to happen?
I can't even guess what distrib you are using, your headers
are windows.
But if it's ubuntu, open up your synaptic package manager, and
look for something called "****build essentials". It will download all
the files you need for "making"
[]'s

****** I'm not sure of the exact name, but the description will guide
you. On a windows box ATM, so quoting from memory.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: USB cable - why ?
Next: Graphics cards for Linux