From: malachi on

"Ben Berman" <no(a)thanks.net> wrote in message

> Long time no speak - but I still remember and cherish "Writing on the
> Wall", still one of the best things I've ever come across on the internet
> . . .
>
> Anyway, I was wondering: was that you on the mandolin part? The reason I
> ask is because I'm in the market for a learner's mandolin, and I don't
> know anyone who plays.
>
> I was wondering whether the cheep-cheep kinda thing they sell in GC or
> Samash might be good enough, or whether I should aim a bit higher. I can
> usually find an Epiphone or Fender in the stores fer about $250, but
> there's an acoustic universe within a short drive (Mandolin Bros, Staten
> Island, NY) who sells something for just a bit more, and I'm wondering
> what the differences might be worth on a mandolin. Of course, they also
> sell mandolins that go for stoopid money, but until I learn to play the
> thing, I'm not looking there.
>
> Of course, that might not have been you on the mandolin part, in which
> case, well, I thought I'd ask . . . 8-)
>
> Anyone else with info, chime right in.
>
> Thanks!
>
> bzb
I bought a Fender "A" type mando from Musicians Friend when they had a
special on it. Glennbo got the same one if I remember correctly. Yes,
that's me playing it on Writing On The Wall.

I like it. Shortly after I got it, I replaced the tuners with a set of
Grovers and it keeps in tune pretty well.

I've played $5000 Gibson custom shop mandos here in Nashville, and they do
sound way better, but I'm not sure they sound $4750.00 better...

Hopes this helps.

malachi

From: Ben Berman on
malachi wrote:

> Hopes this helps.
>
> malachi

Thanks, Rick and John - appreciate the input.

bzb

--
THE SONG FACTORY
Words and Music, made to order(TM)