From: Ben Berman on

Long time no speak - but I still remember and cherish "Writing on the
Wall", still one of the best things I've ever come across on the
internet . . .

Anyway, I was wondering: was that you on the mandolin part? The reason I
ask is because I'm in the market for a learner's mandolin, and I don't
know anyone who plays.

I was wondering whether the cheep-cheep kinda thing they sell in GC or
Samash might be good enough, or whether I should aim a bit higher. I can
usually find an Epiphone or Fender in the stores fer about $250, but
there's an acoustic universe within a short drive (Mandolin Bros, Staten
Island, NY) who sells something for just a bit more, and I'm wondering
what the differences might be worth on a mandolin. Of course, they also
sell mandolins that go for stoopid money, but until I learn to play the
thing, I'm not looking there.

Of course, that might not have been you on the mandolin part, in which
case, well, I thought I'd ask . . . 8-)

Anyone else with info, chime right in.

Thanks!

bzb

--
THE SONG FACTORY
Words and Music, made to order(TM)

WWW: http://www.thesongfactory.com
From: Phoenix on
I currently have an Ovation mandolin (looks like my Ovation guitar's
"mini-me". It stays in tune OK. The strings are ball-end,like guitar
strings, though, so a PITA to find since most mandolin strings are
loop-end.