From: Michael Arm on
Anyone know what this is. My daughter is getting it on her dell
Lattitude 610, Google provides nothing useful.

Thanks,
mike
From: S.Lewis on

"Michael Arm" <marm(a)pobox.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know what this is. My daughter is getting it on her dell
> Lattitude 610, Google provides nothing useful.
>
> Thanks,
> mike

Have her F2 into BIOS/system setup (at the Dell splash screen) and default
the BIOS settings. ALT+F might do it, if not, arrow down to the bottom of
the BIOS index and select "defaults" (under system maintenance, perhaps).

From: Michael Arm on
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 05:18:21 -0600, "S.Lewis"
<Gossamer(a)interesting.com> wrote:

>"Michael Arm" <marm(a)pobox.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone know what this is. My daughter is getting it on her dell
>> Lattitude 610, Google provides nothing useful.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> mike
>

>Have her F2 into BIOS/system setup (at the Dell splash screen) and default
>the BIOS settings. ALT+F might do it, if not, arrow down to the bottom of
>the BIOS index and select "defaults" (under system maintenance, perhaps).

I have tried that...that is what I found googling. When the machine
pwers up, it goes directly to the message. No splash screen, no bios.
It does this almost immediately.

Thanks
MIke
From: S.Lewis on

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 05:18:21 -0600, "S.Lewis"
> <Gossamer(a)interesting.com> wrote:
>

>>"Michael Arm" <marm(a)pobox.com> wrote in message
>>> Anyone know what this is. My daughter is getting it on her dell
>>> Lattitude 610, Google provides nothing useful.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> mike
>>

>>Have her F2 into BIOS/system setup (at the Dell splash screen) and default
>>the BIOS settings. ALT+F might do it, if not, arrow down to the bottom of
>>the BIOS index and select "defaults" (under system maintenance, perhaps).
>>

> I have tried that...that is what I found googling. When the machine
> pwers up, it goes directly to the message. No splash screen, no bios.
> It does this almost immediately.
>
> Thanks
> MIke

Mike-

Older Dell desktops could be forced into 'manufacturing mode' by manually
moving/removing system board jumpers if I recall correctly.

You've likely got a system board problem.

Short of replacement, the system probably needs to be disassembled powered
down with the main battery removed. You're going to want to locate the CMOS
battery and either temporarily remove it or possibly replace it. You don't
mention if this unit is a C610 or a D610 (I'd guess the former would be more
at risk of a dead/dying CMOS battery), so here's the main system index to
find the instructions for disassembly:
http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/documentation.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~cat=12

Further, if it is indeed a C610, I wouldn't put a ton of money or time into
it. IMO, it's not worth it. Might be time for a system upgrade.

HTH

Stew

From: marm on
On Nov 24, 9:39 am, "S.Lewis" <Gossa...(a)interesting.com> wrote:
> "Michael Arm" <m...(a)pobox.com> wrote in message

> > On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 05:18:21 -0600, "S.Lewis"
> > <Gossa...(a)interesting.com> wrote:
>
> >>"Michael Arm" <m...(a)pobox.com> wrote in message

> >>Have her F2 into BIOS/system setup (at the Dell splash screen) and default
> >>the BIOS settings.  ALT+F might do it, if not, arrow down to the bottom of
> >>the BIOS index and select "defaults" (under system maintenance, perhaps).
>
> > I have tried that...that is what I found googling. When the machine
> > pwers up, it goes directly to the message. No splash screen, no bios.
> > It does this almost immediately.
>
> > Thanks
> > MIke
>
> Mike-
>
> Older Dell desktops could be forced into 'manufacturing mode' by manually
> moving/removing system board jumpers if I recall correctly.
>
> You've likely got a system board problem.
>
> Short of replacement, the system probably needs to be disassembled powered
> down with the main battery removed. You're going to want to locate the CMOS
> battery and either temporarily remove it or possibly replace it. You don't
> mention if this unit is a C610 or a D610 (I'd guess the former would be more
> at risk of a dead/dying CMOS battery), so here's the main system index to
> find the instructions for disassembly:http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/documentation.aspx?c=us&c...
>
> Further, if it is indeed a C610, I wouldn't put a ton of money or time into
> it.  IMO, it's not worth it.  Might be time for a system upgrade.
>
> HTH
>
> Stew
Its a D610 (3.5 years old) I thought about looking for and pulling
the CMOS Battery. I will look at the jumpers as well, hadn't thought
about those. From what little is available, I suspect the system board
as well. I won't put any money into it. I will pass my E1505 to my
daughter and have an excuse to get another laptop, possibly an XPS
M1530.

I just need to pull the disk and pull of some data.

Thanks,
Mike