From: QB on
I am running a multi-user db (5-10 users) which is run on runtime so the user
do not have the ability to mess around. I am the sole person which has a
full blown copy of ms access in the company.

Is there an advantage for me to deploy my db as an mde in this case? Will I
gain in performance? or can I leave it in the native mdb format?

Thank you,

QB
From: Larry Linson on

"QB" <QB(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I am running a multi-user db (5-10 users) which is run on runtime so the
user
> do not have the ability to mess around. I am the sole person which has a
> full blown copy of ms access in the company.
>
> Is there an advantage for me to deploy my db as an mde in this case? Will
> gain in performance? or can I leave it in the native mdb format?

There may be some performance advantage to the MDE, but it will not be
"great" or "significant". Access database applications tend to be I/O
limited, not cpu-bound.

Performance is not really the purpose of MDE -- it is to prevent users from
either purposely or accidentally changing the VBA code or the design of
Forms or Reports that have code. You can use Access security with MDB (but
not ACCDB), but it's easily penetrated if anyone has a motive and interest.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Office Access MVP

From: Jerry Whittle on
1. As an mde no one can mess with your code. Even if they are using a
run-time, that won't stop them from taking a copy of the database home if
it's an MDB!

2. To make an mde, everything will need to be compiled. That can make it
faster.

3. The mde file size could be somewhat smaller depending on the amount of
code.

However the MDE is mostly to keep people out of your code.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
QB <QB(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am running a multi-user db (5-10 users) which is run on runtime so the user
>do not have the ability to mess around. I am the sole person which has a
>full blown copy of ms access in the company.
>
>Is there an advantage for me to deploy my db as an mde in this case? Will I
>gain in performance? or can I leave it in the native mdb format?

I would suspect any performance advantage in an MDE would be much less
than 1% and even then only when running code which does many
calculations without doing and reads/writes to the hard drive. And
that is not a realistic scenario for a database program.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP