From: Rich142^ on
Hello everyone,

I have an asrock k7s8x motherboard with two 512 MB DDR 3.03 DIMM
modules. To increase its capacity I want to buy 3 Kingston
KVR266X64C25/1G 266MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2.5 DIMM 1024MB for it. Does Asrock
k7s8x support them? By the way my Bios isan Amibios P 220 released
10/07/2003.I use windows xp sp 2. Every answer is welcome.
Rich
From: Pen on
On 12/20/2009 8:32 AM, Rich142^ wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have an asrock k7s8x motherboard with two 512 MB DDR 3.03 DIMM
> modules. To increase its capacity I want to buy 3 Kingston
> KVR266X64C25/1G 266MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2.5 DIMM 1024MB for it. Does Asrock
> k7s8x support them? By the way my Bios isan Amibios P 220 released
> 10/07/2003.I use windows xp sp 2. Every answer is welcome.
> Rich
The short answer is NO. Check Crucial here for what you
really need.
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=K7S8X

Then check whether you can find those in your country.
The Kingston is too slow you need DDR333 minimum.
From: Paul on
Pen wrote:
> On 12/20/2009 8:32 AM, Rich142^ wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have an asrock k7s8x motherboard with two 512 MB DDR 3.03 DIMM
>> modules. To increase its capacity I want to buy 3 Kingston
>> KVR266X64C25/1G 266MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2.5 DIMM 1024MB for it. Does Asrock
>> k7s8x support them? By the way my Bios isan Amibios P 220 released
>> 10/07/2003.I use windows xp sp 2. Every answer is welcome.
>> Rich
> The short answer is NO. Check Crucial here for what you
> really need.
> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=K7S8X
>
> Then check whether you can find those in your country.
> The Kingston is too slow you need DDR333 minimum.

There is some info here too.

http://www.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?Model=K7S8X

FSB 333/266/200 MHz

- DDR266, Max. capacity of system memory: 3GB
- DDR333, Max. capacity of system memory: 2GB
- DDR400, Max. capacity of system memory: 1GB

ftp://174.142.97.10/manual/K7S8X.pdf

It looks like the operating speed of the memory bus drops
when it is loaded up. I think SIS supports async between
FSB and memory bus, so the two don't have to be locked together.

A higher speed memory might be installed, but it might still
operate at DDR266 when three sticks are present. That might
be how the BIOS sets it up when "Auto" is used. So you could
buy higher speed memory, but the speed might not be fully used.
The benefit of buying a faster memory, is it may be easier
to sell later.

Paul
From: pip22 on

You can download the ASRock k7s8x user's manual here:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/manual.asp?Model=K7S8X

It's a pdf document 400kb, and it tells you what ram you can put in it
and how much ram in total.

Alternatively, go to the crucial memory website, download and run their
system scanner tool (click "Scan my system"). It will detect what memory
you have, which slots are free, and what type of ram is campatible.
They'll also present a list of compatible ram they can supply - with a
guarantee that if it doesn't work they'll give a full refund.