From: W****n S. on
I tried this already with image burn and the disc seemed to come out ok but
when I tried to use the disc it gave me a BSOD after it had loaded most of
the files.

I am trying to do this because I am wondering what will happen when support
is stopped for XP prior to SP3.

Will a person still be able to use a vanilla disc and then update it from
there or will there be issues with this once support stops?

Any thoughts?

Thx,

WS

From: Shenan Stanley on
W****n S. wrote:
> I tried this already with image burn and the disc seemed to come
> out ok but when I tried to use the disc it gave me a BSOD after it
> had loaded most of the files.
>
> I am trying to do this because I am wondering what will happen when
> support is stopped for XP prior to SP3.
>
> Will a person still be able to use a vanilla disc and then update
> it from there or will there be issues with this once support stops?
>
> Any thoughts?

I am sure Windows XP SP1a, SP2 and SP3 will be available for download long
after the extended support period ends.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselect
-->
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/
(Phases of the Support Lifecycle)
-->
For Windows XP (Professional/Home) we are in the "Extended Support" part of
the lifecycle. Goes through 2014 (April 8th or so of that year.) If you
are still running Windows XP at that point, there will probably be a lot you
will be unable to do. ;-)

Anyway - if you are looking to integrate (some call it slipstreaming, and I
guess that has taken on its own life now, whether or not it is actually
called that originally) SP3 into your installation media - I can tell you
how I do it and/or you could just download SP3 and all the post-SP3 patches
you can find, all your hardware drivers, etc and put them on a CD to use
when you (if you) install Windows XP after April 8, 2014 - if you (for
whatever reason) cannot get SP3, etc then.

Many people utilize tools like AutoStreamer or nLite to intgrate/slipstream
updates into the installation media. nLite (I believe) has a way/hack that
'integrates' Internet Explorer 7 - but to be honest, _I_ would not do that.

Getting the updates - that is fairly simple.

One way...

You can see the critical (security and other) patches released for a given
month using the following:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms##-***.mspx

At the end of this line you see "ms##-***.mspx" .. If you simply replace ##
with the two-digit year and the *** with the three character month
abbreviation, you will see the list of "critical" and "important" patches
for that month (since it only happens once a month usually, if you check by
the second Tuesday (wait until afternoon) of each month - you should be
fine) - note that future months will not work - although they may have an
"Advance Notification for" in place when the actual time approaches.

Example:

November 2009
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms09-nov.mspx

Another way...

Windows Updates Downloader
http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/

Another way...

Security updates are available on ISO-9660 DVD5 image files from the
Microsoft Download Center
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

The second is truly the easiest for most people. Most of the updates you
can get have an /integrate switch. Pretty much the same way you do the
service packs.

Although many people use the nlite/autostreamer and other similar tools - I
stick with the original.

Copy the installation CD files to a directory on a Windows XP system (I
prefer doing the integration on a working system of the same version,
although it is not usually necessary...) - preferably a short path like
"C:\WinXP". Downloading the full latest service pack and the patches I want
to integrate using one of the methods above and putting them all into a
different (but short as well) path like "C:\XPPatch" - no sub-directories.

Integrating the service pack first - in this case, given what I have, the
command would be:

"C:\XPPatch\WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe" /integrate:C:\WinXP

and after some time, it would be done.

Then I would integrate the other patches that I could. There would be
*quite a few* updates, so I could either do them one-by-one using this
command with the appropriate substitutions...

"C:\XPPatch\WindowsXP-KB??????-x86-enu.exe" /integrate:C:\WinXP

Or I could create a batch script to run through and do them for me:

<start batch script here - copy below this line>

set sourcedir=C:\WinXP
set patchdir=C:\XPPatch

for %%U in (%patchdir%\WindowsXP-KB??????-x86-enu.exe) DO (
if not exist %svcpackdir%\%%U (
@ECHO Now integrating %%U . . .
@ECHO.
start /wait %%U /integrate:%sourcedir%
)
)

@ECHO Windows XP Updates Integrated into your Installation Media.
@ECHO Burn your new media.
<end batch script here - copy above this line>

And running that would integrate the majority of the available patches and
automatically integrate them - only pausing for me to click OK on each of
the patches "Success" or "Failure" messages. You could make it silent with
a little modification.

The reason it cannot get them all is that some patches do not integrate and
some do not use the same naming scheme (although you could rename them so
they do...)

I then use BBIE (Bart's Boot Image Extractor) to take the 'boot image' off
the original Windows XP CD and save it to a file so I can burn a bootable
Windows XP CD with the integrations I have made. Depending on what CD
burning software or ISO creation software you use - the instructions can
differ a bit here... This part is important when burning to CD: Set Load
segment of sectors (hex) to 0000 and set Number of loaded sectors to 4. Or
at least that is something I always remember.

That's just the way I have done it - even though I have used the other
methods, I find that one the most reliable.

Some have trouble finding the downloads for Windows XP SP1a, SP2
and SP3 they might need...

Windows XP SP1a for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=83E4E879-FA3A-48BF-ADE5-023443E29D78

Windows XP SP2 for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
IT Professionals and Developers (it works for anyone really)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: LVTravel on

"W****n S." <Thisisnotreal(a)guess.com> wrote in message
> I tried this already with image burn and the disc seemed to come out ok
> but when I tried to use the disc it gave me a BSOD after it had loaded
> most of the files.
>
> I am trying to do this because I am wondering what will happen when
> support is stopped for XP prior to SP3.
>
> Will a person still be able to use a vanilla disc and then update it from
> there or will there be issues with this once support stops?
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thx,
>
> WS

I really don't know why everyone is so afraid that the SPs and already
created fixes for XP will not be available when the support ends in 2014.
MS still has all service packs and fixes available for Win 2000 on their
servers for download and that support ended a really long time ago. Even
fixes are available for Win 98 and ME and that support ended in 2005.

Office 97 SR 1 and 2b are still available and that software is more than 13
years old now.

From: John John - MVP on
LVTravel wrote:

> "W****n S." <Thisisnotreal(a)guess.com> wrote in message
>> I tried this already with image burn and the disc seemed to come out
>> ok but when I tried to use the disc it gave me a BSOD after it had
>> loaded most of the files.
>>
>> I am trying to do this because I am wondering what will happen when
>> support is stopped for XP prior to SP3.
>>
>> Will a person still be able to use a vanilla disc and then update it
>> from there or will there be issues with this once support stops?
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thx,
>>
>> WS
>>

> I really don't know why everyone is so afraid that the SPs and already
> created fixes for XP will not be available when the support ends in
> 2014. MS still has all service packs and fixes available for Win 2000 on
> their servers for download and that support ended a really long time
> ago.

Windows 2000 is in extended support until June of this year.

John
From: W****n S. on
Thanks for a well thought out response.

It looks as though there will be nothing to worry about with all the data
available, even beyond 2014.(If we make it past 2012.) : )