From: "Voytek Eymont" on
I currently have in main.cf like:

message_size_limit = 10240000
and
virtual_mailbox_limit = 10240000

so, if I want to increase it, I need also increase virtual_mailbox_limit
to at least same as message_size_limit

can I just use message_size_limit = value, and, don't worry about
virtual_mailbox_limit, by setting it to unlimited, ' = 0' ?

----
virtual_mailbox_limit (default: 51200000)
The maximal size in bytes of an individual virtual(8) mailbox or
maildir file, or zero (no limit).

----

if so, is this the correct syntax:
virtual_mailbox_limit = 0

(last time I altered message_size_limit I forgot about
virtual_mailbox_limit, causing a temporary 'problem'... hence...)

--
Voytek

From: Noel Jones on
On 3/31/2010 6:37 AM, Voytek Eymont wrote:
> I currently have in main.cf like:
>
> message_size_limit = 10240000
> and
> virtual_mailbox_limit = 10240000
>
> so, if I want to increase it, I need also increase virtual_mailbox_limit
> to at least same as message_size_limit
>
> can I just use message_size_limit = value, and, don't worry about
> virtual_mailbox_limit, by setting it to unlimited, ' = 0' ?

"no limit" is usually a bad choice; unexpected things can happen.

Better choices include
- set virtual_mailbox_limit to some large value you don't ever
expect to exceed, maybe 10x ~ 100x the message_size_limit.
- set "virtual_mailbox_limit = $message_size_limit" so that
changes to message_size_limit are automatically applied to
virtual_mailbox_limit.

-- Noel Jones

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 09:31:29AM -0500, Noel Jones wrote:

> Better choices include
> - set virtual_mailbox_limit to some large value you don't ever expect to
> exceed, maybe 10x ~ 100x the message_size_limit.
> - set "virtual_mailbox_limit = $message_size_limit" so that changes to
> message_size_limit are automatically applied to virtual_mailbox_limit.

One can also set:

virtual_mailbox_limit = ${message_size_limit}0

to enforce a factor of 10 difference, provided the message size limit
is not larger than ~200MB (2GB may result in integer overflow), the
variables that handle these limits are "int", not "long" or "off_t".

--
Viktor.

From: "Voytek Eymont" on

On Thu, April 1, 2010 1:31 am, Noel Jones wrote:
> On 3/31/2010 6:37 AM, Voytek Eymont wrote:

> "no limit" is usually a bad choice; unexpected things can happen.

> Better choices include
> - set virtual_mailbox_limit to some large value you don't ever
> expect to exceed, maybe 10x ~ 100x the message_size_limit. - set
> "virtual_mailbox_limit = $message_size_limit" so that
> changes to message_size_limit are automatically applied to
> virtual_mailbox_limit.

Noel, Victor,

thanks, I'll go with same size, that's best solution for me