From: Asif Iqbal on
Hi All

I am planning to migrate from qmail to postfix.

Currently our qmail uses QMAILQUEUE, qmail-scanner, clamd,
spamassassin, rbldnsd, greylite, qmail-pop, qmail-ldap, virtuals and
ezmlm.
(I hope I did not miss anything)

I found few suggestions from the following articles

http://www.irbs.net/internet/postfix/0207/1241.html [yr 2002]
http://www.irbs.net/internet/postfix/0401/1049.html [yr 2004]
http://johnleach.co.uk/documents/qmail-to-postfix/index.html [yr 2006]

They are pretty old.

Is there any new feature(s) relevant to qmail to postfix migration,
that are not covered above and, were
introduced in newer postifx?

Also, if you followed any of those threads, is there some gotcha that
might be missing in there?

I am guessing I need to install postfix as the front-end, will be
installed on a separate new box.
Then use the qmail, currently running on the existing system, as the back-end.
Hoping that will ease the migration, however not exactly sure how to
do it, quite yet :-).
(I have to go back read those threads/articles again.)
Then eventually expire qmail. Not quite sure how to do that either,
but I think have to do some
MX tricks on that.

Anyways, I am looking for comments/suggestions.

Thanks

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu

From: Asif Iqbal on
On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am planning to migrate from qmail to postfix.
>
> Currently our qmail uses QMAILQUEUE, qmail-scanner, clamd,
> spamassassin, rbldnsd, greylite, qmail-pop, qmail-ldap, virtuals and
> ezmlm.
> (I hope I did not miss anything)

I am pretty sure dovecot is the popular method of pop3 and will be
recommended tool to replace qmail-pop

Also I probably will need to use `recipient_delimiter = - ' for as one
of the key
steps to make dot-qmail work same

Again, I have not used postfix as a SMTP server and looking for all the goodies
that you can suggest :-). I used postfix only as client for my ubuntu laptop and
used gmail account to smtp through. (kind a off-topic)

> I found few suggestions from the following articles
>
>  http://www.irbs.net/internet/postfix/0207/1241.html [yr 2002]
>  http://www.irbs.net/internet/postfix/0401/1049.html [yr 2004]
>  http://johnleach.co.uk/documents/qmail-to-postfix/index.html [yr 2006]
>
> They are pretty old.
>
> Is there any new feature(s) relevant to qmail to postfix migration,
> that are not covered above and, were
> introduced in newer postifx?
>
> Also, if you followed any of those threads, is there some gotcha that
> might be missing in there?
>
> I am guessing I need to install postfix as the front-end, will be
> installed on a separate new box.
> Then use the qmail, currently running on the existing system, as the back-end.
> Hoping that will ease the migration, however not exactly sure how to
> do it, quite yet :-).
> (I have to go back read those threads/articles again.)
> Then eventually expire qmail. Not quite sure how to do that either,
> but I think have to do some
> MX tricks on that.
>
> Anyways, I am looking for comments/suggestions.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Asif Iqbal
> PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

From: Wietse Venema on
Asif Iqbal:
> I am guessing I need to install postfix as the front-end, will be
> installed on a separate new box.
> Then use the qmail, currently running on the existing system, as the back-end.

See; http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#firewall

Wietse

From: Jeroen Geilman on
On 07/04/2010 01:38 AM, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am planning to migrate from qmail to postfix.
>
> Currently our qmail uses QMAILQUEUE, qmail-scanner, clamd,
> spamassassin, rbldnsd, greylite, qmail-pop, qmail-ldap, virtuals and
> ezmlm.
> (I hope I did not miss anything)
>
> I found few suggestions from the following articles
>
> http://www.irbs.net/internet/postfix/0207/1241.html [yr 2002]
> http://www.irbs.net/internet/postfix/0401/1049.html [yr 2004]
> http://johnleach.co.uk/documents/qmail-to-postfix/index.html [yr 2006]
>
> They are pretty old.

It seems you managed to miss the postfix documentation.

It's so odd that people insist on NOT using the actual documentation.

> Is there any new feature(s) relevant to qmail to postfix migration,
> that are not covered above and, were
> introduced in newer postifx?

I would not recommend following old, or unsupported, documentation.
Always use the latest official documentation, it includes the versions
something was introduced at.

> Also, if you followed any of those threads, is there some gotcha that
> might be missing in there?

They're probably flagrantly wrong in about a dozen places. They always are.

> I am guessing I need to install postfix as the front-end, will be
> installed on a separate new box.
> Then use the qmail, currently running on the existing system, as the back-end.
> Hoping that will ease the migration, however not exactly sure how to
> do it, quite yet :-).

I would suggest the opposite. postfix is much more flexible than that
old crone.
However, you can do it in any way that suits you.

> (I have to go back read those threads/articles again.)
> Then eventually expire qmail. Not quite sure how to do that either,
> but I think have to do some
> MX tricks on that.
>
> Anyways, I am looking for comments/suggestions.
>
> Thanks

Start with the URL Wietse gave you, it covers the basics.

J.

From: Patrick Ben Koetter on
* Asif Iqbal <vadud3(a)gmail.com>:
> Currently our qmail uses QMAILQUEUE, qmail-scanner, clamd,
> spamassassin, rbldnsd, greylite, qmail-pop, qmail-ldap, virtuals and
> ezmlm.
> (I hope I did not miss anything)

Here's the typical way most people go:

qmail -> postfix <http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html>
qmail-scanner -> amavisd-new <http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/README.postfix.html>
clamd -> integrated in amavisd-new
spamassassin -> integrated in amavisd-new
rbldnsd -> integral part of postfix
greylite -> postgrey <http://postgrey.schweikert.ch/>
qmail-pop -> dovecot <http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailServerOverview>
qmail-ldap -> postfix <http://www.postfix.org/LDAP_README.html>
virtuals -> postfix <http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html> You probably
want to use Dovecot's "deliver" program as LDA in conjunction with virtual
domain hosting
ezmlm -> use with Postfix or replace with mailman

> I am guessing I need to install postfix as the front-end, will be
> installed on a separate new box.

I suggest to replace qmail with Postfix and not make things more complicated
adding another MTA.

> Then use the qmail, currently running on the existing system, as the back-end.
> Hoping that will ease the migration, however not exactly sure how to
> do it, quite yet :-).

Setup Postfix in parallel. Test locally. Ask people on this list if you don't
understand the documentation or how to test.

Then sync messages from old system to new one and retire old one.

> Then eventually expire qmail. Not quite sure how to do that either, but I
> think have to do some MX tricks on that.

Leave MX and give new machine old (and valid MX) IP address.

p(a)rick

justified.

saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):

 |  Next  |  Last