From: Simon ocane on
Could someone point me in the right direction for a good programme similar
to mind map which helps to so-ordinate ideas when brain storming in a group.

Many thanks

Simon

From: Demetris on
Simon ocane wrote:
> Could someone point me in the right direction for a good programme similar
> to mind map which helps to so-ordinate ideas when brain storming in a group.

FreeMind
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
From: Simon ocane on
Thanks guys for prompt replies on a Saturday evening with not a lot on tele.
I will check them out.

Regards

Simon

From: Richard Steinfeld on
Simon ocane wrote:
> Could someone point me in the right direction for a good programme similar
> to mind map which helps to so-ordinate ideas when brain storming in a group.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Simon

Please describe your system. It makes a difference.
I'm running Windows ME at 720 mhz, maxed-out memory.

Don't try CMap!
It's a horror with an arrogance that's only normal at some universities
(U of West Florida, in this case). It'll only run if you've got five
open connections to the mother ship. When you're installing the program,
it tells you that they own it; you're only a beta tester at their
command, and that when they've had their way with you, you're done with
the software. And that's enforced, because, remember, it won't run
unless you're solidly connected to them with *five* live connections.
Forget dialup (but they didn't tell you that, either).

Freemind is good. It's a little klutzy because the maps are divided into
two sides -- right and left. Otherwise it seems quite decent and runs
sluggishly in Sun Java.

Correlate is also interesting -- a slick commercial product that's free
for home use. I haven't gotten into this yet.

The Literary Machine looks especially good, but I had terminal problems
on my system.

All the other programs I tried were impossible to use. For me, this was
an especially troublesome class of programs. It seems that the
programmers rely on coding tools that present problems on my system. In
one case, the install routine set up a nice Borland environment on my
system, but I was hardly informed about this, nor that an undocumented
subdirectory had been set up. And even Borland had virtually no
documentation about their own application on their own web site. I'm
still trying to pick the pieces of it off my system. And I used to
really like Borland's stuff!

I'm worn out from trying these programs. This is one of those cases in
which some of the programmers haven't bothered to tell the user which
operating systems the software will and won't work with, etc., etc. So
there can be lots of struggling. And this can be a trying situation with
some freeware.

A heads-up if you're running 9x; at least this is what I experienced.

But please let us know if you are successful with any of these, because
I'm still interested, just worn out from the struggle.

Richard

From: Michael Laplante on
"Richard Steinfeld" <rgsteinBUTREMOVETHIS(a)sonic.net> wrote in message

> All the other programs I tried were impossible to use. For me, this was

Did you try Brainbox from Circle-of-Excellence? It might interest you. . .

Also, consider a flowcharting program as an alternative. Don't know which
freeware ones to recommend but there are some out there.

Personally, I feel this is one class of program that doesn't lend itself to
a computer. By definition, a program constrains you to rules which is
contrary to the whole purpose of "free for all" brainstorming.