From: Wes on
I know Joe usually puts forth the challenges, but there's a problem
that I think falls into the spirit of such. In the Univ. of Houston
Calculator contest that has been discussed in another thread, there is
the following question:

19) Give the number of positive integers that are no larger than 1,100
and are not
divisible by any of the first 25 prime numbers.

The way I did this was harder than it needed to be. I didn't notice
till later that the answer will simply be equal to 184 (the number of
primes below 1100) - 25 (the first 25 primes) + 1 (the number 1
itself) = 160. The problem would have been more interesting if the
upper value (1100) had been large enough, or the number of prime
numbers (25) had been small enough, so as to include some composite
numbers.

Here's the revised challenge:
Write a UserRPL program that takes two numeric arguments (I'll call
them N and P) and gives the number of positive integers that are no
larger than N and are not divisible by any of the first P prime
numbers. You may give the two arguments in any order you wish. The
program may not make use of any pre-generated values or lists, nor
leave anything extra on the stack. Smallest program wins.

Examples:
1100 25 -> 160
40 2 -> 13 (the 13 values include 2 composites: 1 5 7 11 13 17 19 23
25 29 31 35 37 )

(I don't want to give away my smallest size, but the crc is 83C1h just
in case somebody matches it.)

Enjoy,
-wes
From: Virgil on
In article
<34135e51-4f7f-4c77-91c2-ed6d12b4206a(a)k17g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
Wes <wjltemp-gg(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> I know Joe usually puts forth the challenges, but there's a problem
> that I think falls into the spirit of such. In the Univ. of Houston
> Calculator contest that has been discussed in another thread, there is
> the following question:
>
> 19) Give the number of positive integers that are no larger than 1,100
> and are not
> divisible by any of the first 25 prime numbers.
>
> The way I did this was harder than it needed to be. I didn't notice
> till later that the answer will simply be equal to 184 (the number of
> primes below 1100) - 25 (the first 25 primes) + 1 (the number 1
> itself) = 160. The problem would have been more interesting if the
> upper value (1100) had been large enough, or the number of prime
> numbers (25) had been small enough, so as to include some composite
> numbers.
>
> Here's the revised challenge:
> Write a UserRPL program that takes two numeric arguments (I'll call
> them N and P) and gives the number of positive integers that are no
> larger than N and are not divisible by any of the first P prime
> numbers. You may give the two arguments in any order you wish. The
> program may not make use of any pre-generated values or lists, nor
> leave anything extra on the stack. Smallest program wins.
>
> Examples:
> 1100 25 -> 160
> 40 2 -> 13 (the 13 values include 2 composites: 1 5 7 11 13 17 19 23
> 25 29 31 35 37 )
>
> (I don't want to give away my smallest size, but the crc is 83C1h just
> in case somebody matches it.)
>
> Enjoy,
> -wes

I have a program of 127 bytes, crc #4ADFh, which seems to work (it gives
the same result as your two examples), but is very slow, especially for
larger values. The 1100 25 example took several minutes, eventually
producing that 160 desired result.
From: Dave Hayden on
I have a program that gives the right answer for the two given
examples. 120.5 bytes CRC= #2936h
From: Wes on
On Nov 29, 5:32 am, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> In article
> <34135e51-4f7f-4c77-91c2-ed6d12b42...(a)k17g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
> Wes <wjltemp...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Here's the revised challenge:
> > Write a UserRPL program that takes two numeric arguments (I'll call
> > them N and P) and gives the number of positive integers that are no
> > larger than N and are not divisible by any of the first P prime
> > numbers. You may give the two arguments in any order you wish. The
> > program may not make use of any pre-generated values or lists, nor
> > leave anything extra on the stack. Smallest program wins.
>
> > Examples:
> > 1100 25 -> 160
> > 40 2 -> 13
> > (the 13 values include 2 composites: 1 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 25 29 31 35 37 )
>
> > (I don't want to give away my smallest size, but the crc is 83C1h just
> > in case somebody matches it.)
>
> > Enjoy,
> > -wes
>
> I have a program of 127 bytes, crc #4ADFh, which seems to work (it gives
> the same result as your two examples), but is very slow, especially for
> larger values. The 1100 25 example took several minutes, eventually
> producing that 160 desired result.

Perhaps we should have another category for smallest size*runtime for
a given input that may take a while to complete, say:

2500. 5. -> 519.

-wes
From: Virgil on
In article
<7e4c4329-5097-4eb9-87d6-427cddbc8bf9(a)j24g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
Wes <wjltemp-gg(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Nov 29, 5:32 am, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> > In article
> > <34135e51-4f7f-4c77-91c2-ed6d12b42...(a)k17g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
> > Wes <wjltemp...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Here's the revised challenge:
> > > Write a UserRPL program that takes two numeric arguments (I'll call
> > > them N and P) and gives the number of positive integers that are no
> > > larger than N and are not divisible by any of the first P prime
> > > numbers. You may give the two arguments in any order you wish. The
> > > program may not make use of any pre-generated values or lists, nor
> > > leave anything extra on the stack. Smallest program wins.
> >
> > > Examples:
> > > 1100 25 -> 160
> > > 40 2 -> 13
> > > (the 13 values include 2 composites: 1 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 25 29 31 35 37 )
> >
> > > (I don't want to give away my smallest size, but the crc is 83C1h just
> > > in case somebody matches it.)
> >
> > > Enjoy,
> > > -wes
> >
> > I have a program of 127 bytes, crc #4ADFh, which seems to work (it gives
> > the same result as your two examples), but is very slow, especially for
> > larger values. The 1100 25 example took several minutes, eventually
> > producing that 160 desired result.
>
> Perhaps we should have another category for smallest size*runtime for
> a given input that may take a while to complete, say:
>
> 2500. 5. -> 519.
>
> -wes

I have a new one which increases the speed considerably and diminishes
the size to 109.5 bytes, crc #14A0h, and I suspect I can do better.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: StreamSmart
Next: UH calculator contest challenge