From: John H Meyers on
On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 12:10:09 -0500, Christoph Koehler wrote:

> I will check on the IrDA. Would that remain on through battery changes?

Isn't OFF supposed to automatically include CLOSEIO?

Shouldn't removing a battery without turning OFF also turn itself off anyway?
(IIRC, battery removal can even substitute for a reset, such as during ROM update)

-[ ]-
From: bokubob on
On Oct 8, 12:10 pm, Christoph Koehler <christoph.koeh...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Quick reply before I have to get going.
>
> They are the same battery set, and they are actually pretty good
> quality. It just so happens that one of them has a higher capacity, so
> no mixing and matching. They are all 4 rated for 850mAh.
> The low battery indicator came on first, and I could do a few
> calculations, but when I turned it on a few hours of not using it
> later, it wouldn't even stay on.
>
> I will check on the IrDA. Would that remain on through battery
> changes? I assume so.

If you have a multimeter, maybe you can measure the voltage of the
batteries when they're freshly charged, at the low battery warning,
and then when it won't turn on any more. That should give us a good
idea of what's going on.

You can also make an electric current measurement (remember the meter
goes in series with the batteries, not in parallel). You can compare
your measurement to measurements made by Eric Rechlin in his August
17, 2007 message to this forum:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/browse_thread/thread/6dec4019c34f9786/0ee8dda15d53072a?lnk=gst

Good luck,
-Jonathan