From: bj on
Good morning,

I had my PC repaired recently; the guy who came replaced the motherboard and
the graphics card. Afterwards, I found that he had put in a weaker processor
(AMD Athlon 2000) than I had had before (2200), so I wanted to replace that.
I detached the processor fan and replaced the processor.

Now, when I turn the PC on, for half a second a green diod lights up and the
fans go on, then the motherboards starts emitting pulse beeps like an
ambulance siren (eeeeooooeeeeooooeeeeoooo...) and everything (but the beeps
and the red diod) stops. Does anyone have an idea what the problem may be,
please? This persists also when I switch back to the old processor.

I had checked forums and found that this signal is typically emitted when
the processor temperature is too high. The old one that I removed had some
old paste on it, but the new one does not heat up in the half-second when
the PC seems to be working.
I plugged in the CPU fan and radiator (only did not click it on yet as it's
rather difficult, it requiring detaching the whole motherboard, but this
should not matter, should it?);
I switched the CMOS (?) jumper back and forth and even removed the battery
for 1 minute;
I removed and put the memory back in, checking the connections;
No capacitor seems to be swollen;
Apart from replacing the processor I didn't seem to be do anything.

Motherboard: Abit HF7; processor: AMD Athlon 2200

Could anyone suggest a solution, please? I have no more money for another
repair, and this is rather exasperating...
Loads of thanks in advance!

-bj

From: Peter Able on

"bj" <spillout99(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Good morning,
>
> I had my PC repaired recently; the guy who came replaced the motherboard
and
> the graphics card. Afterwards, I found that he had put in a weaker
processor
> (AMD Athlon 2000) than I had had before (2200), so I wanted to replace
that.
> I detached the processor fan and replaced the processor.
>
> Now, when I turn the PC on, for half a second a green diod lights up and
the
> fans go on, then the motherboards starts emitting pulse beeps like an
> ambulance siren (eeeeooooeeeeooooeeeeoooo...) and everything (but the
beeps
> and the red diod) stops. Does anyone have an idea what the problem may be,
> please? This persists also when I switch back to the old processor.
>
> I had checked forums and found that this signal is typically emitted when
> the processor temperature is too high. The old one that I removed had some
> old paste on it, but the new one does not heat up in the half-second when
> the PC seems to be working.
> I plugged in the CPU fan and radiator (only did not click it on yet as
it's
> rather difficult, it requiring detaching the whole motherboard, but this
> should not matter, should it?);
> I switched the CMOS (?) jumper back and forth and even removed the battery
> for 1 minute;
> I removed and put the memory back in, checking the connections;
> No capacitor seems to be swollen;
> Apart from replacing the processor I didn't seem to be do anything.
>
> Motherboard: Abit HF7; processor: AMD Athlon 2200
>
> Could anyone suggest a solution, please? I have no more money for another
> repair, and this is rather exasperating...
> Loads of thanks in advance!
>
> -bj

Just a couple of possibilities:

Well down your notes you say "I plugged in the CPU fan and radiator (only
did not click it on". If you've been running the CPU without its heatsink
firmly fitted then you've almost certainly killed the processor(s).

The other possibility is that you've damaged a thermistor (temperature
sensor) on the motherboard. I don't know your particular MB, but many have a
small thermistor on the MB centred immediately under the CPU socket.

From: Brian Cryer on
"bj" <spillout99(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Good morning,
>
> I had my PC repaired recently; the guy who came replaced the motherboard
> and the graphics card. Afterwards, I found that he had put in a weaker
> processor (AMD Athlon 2000) than I had had before (2200), so I wanted to
> replace that. I detached the processor fan and replaced the processor.
>
> Now, when I turn the PC on, for half a second a green diod lights up and
> the fans go on, then the motherboards starts emitting pulse beeps like an
> ambulance siren (eeeeooooeeeeooooeeeeoooo...) and everything (but the
> beeps and the red diod) stops. Does anyone have an idea what the problem
> may be, please? This persists also when I switch back to the old
> processor.

If the motherboard emits beeps then always power it down straight away. Then
go to the manual for the motherboard or the manufacturer of the motherboard
to look up what that sequence of beeps mean.

Do you have the manual for the motherboard? Some motherboards require
jumpers set for the clock multiplier and this needs to be right for the CPU,
so there might be something you would need to do on the motherboard for it
to work.

If it were me I'd take it back to the chap who did the repair and insist
that its returned with an equivalent processor to the one it originally went
in with. Its the fault of the chap doing the repair that it came back with a
slower processor. It shouldn't have to carry the cost of their mistake
(unless of course it you okayed this?)

Like others have said its vital that you run with the heatsink attached.
Also, don't stress the motherboard if you can help it when attaching the
heatsink as its easy to crack a connection on the motherboard and kill it
(been there, done that).

Hope you get it working.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

From: Brian Cryer on
"Brian Cryer" <not.here(a)localhost> wrote in message
> "bj" <spillout99(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Good morning,
>>
>> I had my PC repaired recently; the guy who came replaced the motherboard
>> and the graphics card. Afterwards, I found that he had put in a weaker
>> processor (AMD Athlon 2000) than I had had before (2200), so I wanted to
>> replace that. I detached the processor fan and replaced the processor.
>>
>> Now, when I turn the PC on, for half a second a green diod lights up and
>> the fans go on, then the motherboards starts emitting pulse beeps like an
>> ambulance siren (eeeeooooeeeeooooeeeeoooo...) and everything (but the
>> beeps and the red diod) stops. Does anyone have an idea what the problem
>> may be, please? This persists also when I switch back to the old
>> processor.
>
> If the motherboard emits beeps then always power it down straight away.
> Then go to the manual for the motherboard or the manufacturer of the
> motherboard to look up what that sequence of beeps mean.
>
> Do you have the manual for the motherboard? Some motherboards require
> jumpers set for the clock multiplier and this needs to be right for the
> CPU, so there might be something you would need to do on the motherboard
> for it to work.
>
> If it were me I'd take it back to the chap who did the repair and insist
> that its returned with an equivalent processor to the one it originally
> went in with. Its the fault of the chap doing the repair that it came back
> with a slower processor. It shouldn't have to carry the cost of their
> mistake (unless of course it you okayed this?)

I should have added that if you've broken it because of your actions in
trying to fit a different chip then of course you are liable to pay for any
repair. So I'd put the original back, make sure it works and then take it
back to who repaired it.