From: linolil on
I spotted this error in the log file of our new fileserver.
(SunOS 5.9 Generic_117171-12)

Jun 14 23:12:34 hostname mountd[494]: [ID 664212 daemon.error]
No default domain set

The questions I have are;

[1] "In this context, what "domain" are they talking about and
doesn it really need to be 'set'?"

(We are not running NIS, but are running NFS and Samba.
That's only three domains to chose from...
Aren't standards fun! )

based on the answer to the first question;

[2] "How can I determine what client caused the error to
be generated?"

As always, thanks in advance.

Linolil

From: Andrew Gabriel on
In article <1118939006.171123.267860(a)g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"linolil" <linolil(a)equoria.net> writes:
> I spotted this error in the log file of our new fileserver.
> (SunOS 5.9 Generic_117171-12)
>
> Jun 14 23:12:34 hostname mountd[494]: [ID 664212 daemon.error]
> No default domain set
>
> The questions I have are;
>
> [1] "In this context, what "domain" are they talking about and
> doesn it really need to be 'set'?"

The domain used for mapping uids over NFSv4 I would guess,
see nfsmapid(1M). All your systems sharing the same servers
need to have the same NFSv4 domain name, or users will find
their files owned by 'nobody'. Although the manpage doesn't
say so, I believe if NFSMAPID_DOMAIN isn't set and there's
no _nfsv4idmapdomain, system tries looking for domain name
in the form of NIS, NIS+, or DNS domain names. Presumably
in your case, it ran out of all possibilities without finding
something to use as a domain name, in which case you should
edit a name into /etc/default/nfs.

--
Andrew Gabriel
From: linolil on
Very intereseting.

Thank you for responding.

There is also the "domainname" command;

domainname - Set or display name of the current domain

I found that it was not set, so set it... and will now wait for a
repeat of that error.