From: Moray Henderson on
H.S. [mailto:hs.samix(a)gmail.com] wrote:
>I have a Debian machine running Unstable acting as a samba server. The
>server was installed a few days ago after a reinstall of the OS. The
>older installation's samba configs were backed up and restored after
>installation.
>
>The Samba shares are accessible if I access them from a Windows 7
>client. The shares, however, cannot be accessed from a Debian client
>(newly installed amd64 Testing). The error I get from the Debian client
>is the following:
>~$ sudo mount -v -t cifs -o user=<username> //sambaserver/Share
>~/mnt/Share
>Password: .... <username's password here> ....
>mount.cifs kernel mount options:
>ip=192.168.0.8,unc=//sambaserver/Share,,ver=1,user=<username>,pass=****
***
>*
>mount error(13): Permission denied
>Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
>

>I looked at the man page for mount.cifs and I have also tried the
>following with the same results:
>$ sudo mount -v -t cifs -o user=SMBWG/<username> //sambaserver/Share
>~/mnt/Share
>(SMBWG is the workgroup)
>$ sudo mount -v -t cifs -o user=home.pvt/<username> //sambaserver/Share
>~/mnt/Share
>
>What am I missing here?

Things to check:

Rather than mounting, can you use smbclient to access the share?
Do you see any better errors in the logs of either client or server?
Is client running SELinux or equivalent?

Moray.
"To err is human.  To purr, feline"

On 30/07/10 05:02 AM, Moray Henderson wrote:
> H.S. [mailto:hs.samix(a)gmail.com] wrote:
>> I have a Debian machine running Unstable acting as a samba server. The
>> server was installed a few days ago after a reinstall of the OS. The
>> older installation's samba configs were backed up and restored after
>> installation.
>>
>> The Samba shares are accessible if I access them from a Windows 7
>> client. The shares, however, cannot be accessed from a Debian client
>> (newly installed amd64 Testing). The error I get from the Debian client
>> <SNIP>
>> What am I missing here?
>
> Things to check:
>
> Rather than mounting, can you use smbclient to access the share?
> Do you see any better errors in the logs of either client or server?
> Is client running SELinux or equivalent?

I can browse the shares via dolphin in KDE. I can use smbclient and it
appears to work:
$ smbclient -L //192.168.0.8 -U hs
Enter hs's password:
Domain=[SMBWG] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.8]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
print$ Disk Printer Drivers
Pictures Disk Pictures Repository
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (red server)
hs Disk Home Directories
Domain=[SMBWG] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.8]

Server Comment
--------- -------
RED red server

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
SMBWG red

No, there is no selinux running on samba server. The server's log also
do not show anything abnormal. I get info regarding the smbclient stuff,
but no info regarding the error 13 that cifs mounting is giving me.

Thanks.

ever having been read.

H.S. [mailto:hs.samix(a)gmail.com] wrote:
>On 30/07/10 05:02 AM, Moray Henderson wrote:
>> H.S. [mailto:hs.samix(a)gmail.com] wrote:
>>> I have a Debian machine running Unstable acting as a samba server.
The
>>> server was installed a few days ago after a reinstall of the OS. The
>>> older installation's samba configs were backed up and restored after
>>> installation.
>>>
>>> The Samba shares are accessible if I access them from a Windows 7
>>> client. The shares, however, cannot be accessed from a Debian client
>>> (newly installed amd64 Testing). The error I get from the Debian
client
>>> <SNIP>
>>> What am I missing here?
>>
>> Things to check:
>>
>> Rather than mounting, can you use smbclient to access the share?
>> Do you see any better errors in the logs of either client or
server?
>> Is client running SELinux or equivalent?
>
>I can browse the shares via dolphin in KDE. I can use smbclient and it
>appears to work:
>$ smbclient -L //192.168.0.8 -U hs
>Enter hs's password:
>Domain=[SMBWG] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.8]
>
> Sharename Type Comment
> --------- ---- -------
> print$ Disk Printer Drivers
> Pictures Disk Pictures Repository
> IPC$ IPC IPC Service (red server)
> hs Disk Home Directories
>Domain=[SMBWG] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.8]
>
> Server Comment
> --------- -------
> RED red server
>
> Workgroup Master
> --------- -------
> SMBWG red
>

>No, there is no selinux running on samba server. The server's log also
>do not show anything abnormal. I get info regarding the smbclient
stuff,
>but no info regarding the error 13 that cifs mounting is giving me.

How about SELinux on the client - that may deny permission for remote
mounts if the mount point has the wrong context.

Can you mount other filesystems (USB stick, for example) via sudo?

Your original example said:
>~$ sudo mount -v -t cifs -o user=<username> //sambaserver/Share
>~/mnt/Share
>Password: .... <username's password here> ....
>mount.cifs kernel mount options:
>ip=192.168.0.8,unc=//sambaserver/Share,,ver=1,user=<username>,pass=****
***
>*
>mount error(13): Permission denied

Was mount.cifs picking up the correct password there? Can you sudo to a
shell, and give the mount command with all the options on the command
line?