From: Leon Mayne on
"guest5" <guest5(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> This is the point. All the data file space is getting used, but unsure
> what
> object is using it up as the usage report does not list any tables which
> are
> that large. There is again virtually no space on the data file.

Something is probably adding lots of data, which increases the data file
size, and then deleting the data, which leaves the data file the same size
but removes the data from inside it, thus you are left with a large but
empty data file.

From: TheSQLGuru on
1) contrary to what someone else suggested, you should probably NOT shrink
the file. Search the web for karazi don't shrink sql.

2) You should (almost) NEVER run out of space in a database if you have
autogrowth set correctly.

3) sp_spaceused does NOT reflect accurate values unless you recently run
dbcc updateusage. See BOL.

4) do you perchance have a lot of databases or are you doing frequent
backups (or maybe restores?

5) Do you have any third-party product on the server which could be using
msdb?

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

From: guest5 on
Hi Kevin

I ran dbcc update usage and the sp_spaceused values are unchanged see below.
There aer 13 databases on server inc system databases. We are using vb
maintenance scripts for the maintenance jobs. Obviously something is using
all the space but the disk usage reports for tables does not indicate what is
taking up the space. Quite confusing.

database_name
database_size
unallocated space
------------------ ------------------
msdb
1540.00 MB 0.07 MB

reserved data index_size unused
------------------ ------------------ ------------------ ------------------
1535928 KB 1484808 KB 49176 KB 1944 KB

From: Tibor Karaszi on
Does below give any hints?

USE msdb
SELECT TOP(30) OBJECT_NAME(object_id), rows
FROM sys.partitions
ORDER BY rows DESC

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

From: guest5 on
Hi

It returns. Not sure how to check the size. Any advise?

queue_messages_407672500 563042