From: Alain Dekker on
Sorry, I know this is not the right group for this, but I'm trying to log
into the dotnet and other VS newsgroups on msnews.microsoft.com and no
matter what I do I get this error:

411 no such newsgroup

Configuration:
Account: msnews.microsoft.com
Server: msnews.microsoft.com
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
Secure(SSL): 0
Error Number: 411
Code: 800ccca5

This is via Outlook Express 6.0.

This is quite recent. This worked fine about a few weeks ago. All the
newsgroups appear correctly when I ask for a list of newsgroups, but no
matter what group I choose, I get this error.

Has there been some port or security change on this MS news server? Has MS
stopped supported newsgroups via OE?

If you could reply to abdekker <dot> za [AT] gmail DOT com, that would be
appreicated but in the newsgroup only is ok. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Alain

From: Brian Cryer on
"Alain Dekker" <abdekker(a)NOSPAM.fsmail.net> wrote in message
> Sorry, I know this is not the right group for this, but I'm trying to log
> into the dotnet and other VS newsgroups on msnews.microsoft.com and no
> matter what I do I get this error:
>
> 411 no such newsgroup

Microsoft have been shutting down their newsgroups, preferring people to use
their on-line forums. Shame really.

You could try a different newsgroup server, as their newsgroups are still
carried elsewhere. However in my experience when Microsoft pulls the plug on
a newsgroup the number of visitors falls very significantly, so you could
still post an issue to the newsgroup carried by your ISP (or other newsgroup
provider) but its very much less likely that you'll now get a response.

This did come up a week or so back -
http://microsoft.newsgroups.archived.at/public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/201009/100921149700.html

Hope this helps.
--