From: Alex Hall on
I notice that I do not have the dll when py2exe says it cannot locate
the dll. If I need vs2008, then what good is vcredist_xxx.exe? It does
not seem to give me the dll, but the py2exe tutorial says that it
will. What am I missing?

On 4/14/10, Christian Heimes <lists(a)cheimes.de> wrote:
> On 14.04.2010 13:22, Alex Hall wrote:
>> I tried both vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe, with no result; I
>> still do not have the required dll (I have 32-bit python, so the _x86
>> should have done the trick). I will try another poster's suggestion of
>> installing vcpp express 2005 and hope that will work...
>
> How do you notice that you don't have the required DLL? The DLLs aren't
> copied into system32. The new location is the side by side assembly
> directory WinSxS. You need adminstration privileges to install SxS
> assemblies.
>
> By the way VC Express 2005 is the wrong version. Python 2.6 and newer
> are compiled with VS 2008.
>
> Christian

Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)
mehgcap(a)gmail.com; http://www.facebook.com/mehgcap
From: Christian Heimes on
On 14.04.2010 14:25, Alex Hall wrote:
> I notice that I do not have the dll when py2exe says it cannot locate
> the dll. If I need vs2008, then what good is vcredist_xxx.exe? It does
> not seem to give me the dll, but the py2exe tutorial says that it
> will. What am I missing?

Do you have the correct vcredist for VS 2008?

From: Alex Hall on
On 4/14/10, Christian Heimes <lists(a)cheimes.de> wrote:
> On 14.04.2010 14:25, Alex Hall wrote:
>> I notice that I do not have the dll when py2exe says it cannot locate
>> the dll. If I need vs2008, then what good is vcredist_xxx.exe? It does
>> not seem to give me the dll, but the py2exe tutorial says that it
>> will. What am I missing?
>
> Do you have the correct vcredist for VS 2008?
I ran the redist exe from Microsoft that said it was for c++ 2008, from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en
I still cannot find the dll I need! Again, I have 32-bit python2.6 on
win7x64, so I got the _x86 version of the redist file. I have also
tried running the x64 version of the file, just to see if it would
help, but I still have no dll. I installed vs2005, but apparently I
need vs2008, which I cannot find.

From: Enrico on
Il 14/04/2010 14:25, Alex Hall ha scritto:
> I notice that I do not have the dll when py2exe says it cannot locate
> the dll. If I need vs2008, then what good is vcredist_xxx.exe? It does
> not seem to give me the dll, but the py2exe tutorial says that it
> will. What am I missing?

Alex, the DLLs are in winsxs, try searching there.
For py2exe, it doesn't find the DLLs so you should provide them. In my
setup.py (I use also the wxPython lib so something could be different) I
added:

def isSystemDLL(pathname):
if os.path.basename(pathname).lower() in ('msvcp90.dll'):
return 0
return origIsSystemDLL(pathname)
origIsSystemDLL = py2exe.build_exe.isSystemDLL
py2exe.build_exe.isSystemDLL = isSystemDLL

Then I added to 'dll_excludes' the same 'msvcp90.dll'.

In this way py2exe is ok without this DLL and can build the excutable.
Note that the dll that py2exe is looking for is msvcp90 in my case.

Then I added a subdirectory with the DLLs (msvcr90, msvcp90, msvcm90) to
the distribution directory. You need a manifest too :-)

Ok, it seems complex but you can check the followings
http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/Tutorial
http://wiki.wxpython.org/py2exe (related to wxPython but look at the
manifest)

An other solution is to run the vcredist on the target machine and the
application will run. This is the suggested solution if you cannot
distibute the DLLs.

Bye, Enrico
From: Rebelo on

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/