From: Alex Hall on
Hi all,
For testing purposes, and because I am not yet distributing my
application (which, thanks to you all, is now running perfectly!), I
am going to just bundle msvcr90.dll. However, I cannot find it! I ran
vcredist_x86.exe (I have a 64-bit version of win7, but all I have is
the x86 version of the program - is that a problem?). A search for
msvcr90.dll and just vcr90.dll returns 0 results. Where did it put my
msvcr90.dll file? I thought the point was to give me the dll? Thanks.

--
Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)
From: Gabriel Genellina on
En Wed, 14 Apr 2010 00:07:48 -0300, Alex Hall <mehgcap(a)gmail.com> escribi�:

> For testing purposes, and because I am not yet distributing my
> application (which, thanks to you all, is now running perfectly!), I
> am going to just bundle msvcr90.dll. However, I cannot find it! I ran
> vcredist_x86.exe (I have a 64-bit version of win7, but all I have is
> the x86 version of the program - is that a problem?). A search for
> msvcr90.dll and just vcr90.dll returns 0 results. Where did it put my
> msvcr90.dll file? I thought the point was to give me the dll? Thanks.

You need the same architecture and version as used by Python itself. A
32-bit executable (Python, or your compiled program) requires a 32-bit
dll, a 64-bit executable requires a 64-bit dll (and this one comes from a
different redistributable package, vcredist_x64.exe).
You may install the 32-bit dlls on a 64-bit Windows, but only 32-bit
programs will be able to use it.

--
Gabriel Genellina

From: Alex Hall on
I tried both vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe, with no result; I
still do not have the required dll (I have 32-bit python, so the _x86
should have done the trick). I will try another poster's suggestion of
installing vcpp express 2005 and hope that will work...

From: Alf P. Steinbach on
* Alex Hall:
> Hi all,
> For testing purposes, and because I am not yet distributing my
> application (which, thanks to you all, is now running perfectly!), I
> am going to just bundle msvcr90.dll. However, I cannot find it! I ran
> vcredist_x86.exe (I have a 64-bit version of win7, but all I have is
> the x86 version of the program - is that a problem?). A search for
> msvcr90.dll and just vcr90.dll returns 0 results. Where did it put my
> msvcr90.dll file? I thought the point was to give me the dll? Thanks.

A bit off-topic, but:

<example>
C:\> for %f in (msvcr70.dll, msvcr71.dll, msvcr80.dll, mscvr90.dll) do @(
More? echo.%f "%~$path:f"
More? )
msvcr70.dll "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msvcr70.dll"
msvcr71.dll "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msvcr71.dll"
msvcr80.dll "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msvcr80.dll"
mscvr90.dll ""

C:\> _
</example>

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf
From: Christian Heimes on
On 14.04.2010 13:22, Alex Hall wrote:
> I tried both vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe, with no result; I
> still do not have the required dll (I have 32-bit python, so the _x86
> should have done the trick). I will try another poster's suggestion of
> installing vcpp express 2005 and hope that will work...

How do you notice that you don't have the required DLL? The DLLs aren't
copied into system32. The new location is the side by side assembly
directory WinSxS. You need adminstration privileges to install SxS
assemblies.

By the way VC Express 2005 is the wrong version. Python 2.6 and newer
are compiled with VS 2008.

Christian