From: Peter T. Daniels on
I didn't do the experiment (and I don't have Word2003 handy), but
that's what you're reporting.

From: MayaSauer on
Does it work in another version of Word?

Thanks,

From: Jay Freedman on
That's correct. Multiple columns, in Word's world, are a property of a
section, which is defined as the entire area between two section
breaks (and for this purpose the beginning and end of the document
count as section breaks). A table must be entirely within one section;
if you try to insert a section break inside a table, it splits the
table into two pieces.

The result is that you can put a table into a multi-column section,
but you cannot put a multicolumn section inside a table.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman