From: Goran on
On Jun 20, 11:39 pm, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...(a)flounder.com> wrote:
> We knew this technique decades before C++ was a gleam in Stroustrup's eye..  We knew about
> interfaces, modularization, etc. by the mid-1970s and were developing languages to support
> these concepts.  The notion that creating a file is a Really Bad Idea seems to grow from
> failures to provide any form of education whatsoever, and is not helped by horrendously
> bad examples in books that claim to "teach programming".
>
> ISP is just a formalization of modular interfaces that pretends like it is a Really New
> Idea, when in fact it is just a TLA (Three-Letter Acronym) applied to an old, old idea.

Heh, true, "ISP" is justthe last (IMO) commonly used name for said
idea.

Goran.
From: Mihai N. on

> We've never had the merge fail. It is mindlessly straightforward, so easy
> even a stupid source-change-merge program can get it right.

I promise you that a solving a conflicting change in an XCode project is
not trivial, even for a human. It is a crappy format, where
everything is based on guids, almost unreadable.
Compared with that VS projects are a dream (except with known bug
where VS reshuffles the order of the targets, messing up most diff apps)

> but how does ANY of this explain the one-person projects

Of course not :-)

> Seriously, you are arguing that in massive, complex projects, ...

No Joe, I am not arguing anything, really.
Only describing something I have seen, and can be somewhat a
reasonable excuse for an unexperienced programmer.
That's all :-)

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]
http://www.mihai-nita.net

From: Mihai N. on

> but is it not a bad practice to add a global
> variable m_LanguageSupport to the CWinApp-class?

I don't know. Depends what you hold in that variable :-)
Because I don't know what that is, I am not sure I
understand the rest of the comments/questions.
Looks like a class, because has a LoadBestLanguage method.
But I am not sure what the use of that is later on (if any).

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:41:19 -0700, "Mihai N." <nmihai_year_2000(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>> We've never had the merge fail. It is mindlessly straightforward, so easy
>> even a stupid source-change-merge program can get it right.
>
>I promise you that a solving a conflicting change in an XCode project is
>not trivial, even for a human. It is a crappy format, where
>everything is based on guids, almost unreadable.
>Compared with that VS projects are a dream (except with known bug
>where VS reshuffles the order of the targets, messing up most diff apps)
***
I can believe that. But how many people actually use XCode, compared to the huge number
of people who don't add new files to simple one-person VS projects? I've even had people
add code to stdafx.cpp, "so I won't have to create a new file"!

There is always something six sigmas out from the norm. But adding a file to a
single-programmer VS-only project is considerably less than one sigma from the norm, and
that was what I was originally discussing.
****

>> but how does ANY of this explain the one-person projects
>
>Of course not :-)
>

>> Seriously, you are arguing that in massive, complex projects, ...
>
>No Joe, I am not arguing anything, really.
>Only describing something I have seen, and can be somewhat a
>reasonable excuse for an unexperienced programmer.
>That's all :-)
****
Key here is a belief set: "It is bad to add a new file to a project". This is not a good
belief set. Reality (whatever XCode is, it must be a horrible mechanism if you can't add
files!) may say otherwise in extremely rare and exotic circumstances, but the key belief
set SHOULD be "It is essential to add new files whenever necessary, without hesitation".
Then, the aforesaid extremely rare and exotic circumstances may have to modify this belief
set, but it should not be the *fundamental* belief set. And all too often, it is.
joe

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Mihai N. on

> Key here is a belief set: "It is bad to add a new file to a project".
> This is not a good belief set.

100% with you here.

> whatever XCode is, it must be a horrible mechanism if you can't
> add files!

You can add files, with point and click.
But if you want to submit to version control and have a conflict, then
you have to look inside. And that's scarry :-)

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]
http://www.mihai-nita.net

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: I love MFC!
Next: Using CMFCToolBar and CMFCMenuBar?