From: Bill Cunningham on
With client sockets, and networking in general what is the difference in
IO multiplexing and asynchronous multiplexing? Is this for DGRAM and STREAM
sockets?

Bill

From: Rainer Weikusat on
"Bill Cunningham" <nospam(a)nspam.invalid> writes:
> With client sockets, and networking in general what is the difference in
> IO multiplexing and asynchronous multiplexing? Is this for DGRAM and STREAM
> sockets?

What is 'asynchronous multiplexing' supposed to refer to?
From: Bill Cunningham on

"Rainer Weikusat" <rweikusat(a)mssgmbh.com> wrote in message

> What is 'asynchronous multiplexing' supposed to refer to?

I have no idea. That is what I was asking. I notice that fcntl function
has an option called O_ASYNC or something like that. Along with the
O_NONBLOCK macro that can be used.

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/functions/poll.html

Is where I've first seen this option.

Bill

From: Bill Cunningham on

"Rainer Weikusat" <rweikusat(a)mssgmbh.com> wrote in message
What is 'asynchronous multiplexing' supposed to refer to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asynchronous_I/O

This doesn't explain asynchronous multiplexing but does mention
asynchronous IO

Bill

From: Scott Lurndal on
"Bill Cunningham" <nospam(a)nspam.invalid> writes:

>"Rainer Weikusat" <rweikusat(a)mssgmbh.com> wrote in message
>
>> What is 'asynchronous multiplexing' supposed to refer to?
>
> I have no idea. That is what I was asking. I notice that fcntl function
>has an option called O_ASYNC or something like that. Along with the
>O_NONBLOCK macro that can be used.
>
>http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/functions/poll.html
>
>Is where I've first seen this option.
>
>Bill

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/basedefs/fcntl.h.html

shows O_SYNC, O_DSYNC and O_RSYNC, but no O_ASYNC.

scott