From: Chrisinct on
everytime I open 2 work books the second one opens and warns me that
personal.xls is locked for editing by myself. I don't currently have any
macros that I want available to all my workbooks. Is there anyway to
deactive this as I often need to have multiple workbooks open at the same
time.
From: Lawrenceiow on
Chrisinct,

I get the same as you, if you're sure there's nothing in the personal.xls
that you need anymore you can simply delete it. I did a "Search" to locate
the file, which was in the "Documents and Settings" folder (in XP) under my
log-in name, there were a few personal.xls files found so I made sure it was
mine before pressing the delete button. I then started Excel twice and
didn't get the error message. Unfortunately for me I've loads of macros I
use so I can't leave my personal.xls deleted and so continue to put up with
the message!

Hope this of help to you though.

From: Chrisinct on
Thanks Lawrence you answered my question. I searched for it but I didn't
find it so I hunted it down in C:\Documents and
Settings\(((((username))))\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel and then in the
XL start folder. I restarted it and no more error. I often create my macros
for a particular spreadsheet so I don't need them in my personal.xls. I'm
fairly new to macros so I am working on integrating them in my daily work.
Thanks for your help.

Chris

From: Dave Peterson on
If you open both files in the same instance of excel, you won't have this
trouble.

If you open the file by double clicking on it in windows explorer, you may want
to try this so that the second file opens in the same instance.

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver