From: Arno on
sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2852/passportdiscrepancy.jpg

> I have two identical WD 1tb passport usb drives filled with identical
> data.
> When I select all files (including hidden and system files) and
> display its properties, the listed filesizes match up between the two
> drives. But when I go to 'my computer' and display the properties of
> each of the two passport drives, they differ in the size of the data
> stored on the disk. Can anyone explain this discrepancy in the
> reported data/free space between the two identical usb drives with
> identical data?

> The recycle bin is empty on both drives.

> Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

One thing is that directories grow when more files are put in them
but they do not automatically shrink. Then there is the possibility
that both drives have different filesystem parameters, e.g one can
have a larger cluster size, which results in more wasted space
at the end of the files for files that do not exactly end
on a cluster boundary.

Other possibilities exist, What are the concrete numbers you
are seeing.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: sobriquet on
On 18 feb, 01:08, Arno <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> sobriquet <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2852/passportdiscrepancy.jpg
> > I have two identical WD 1tb passport usb drives filled with identical
> > data.
> > When I select all files (including hidden and system files) and
> > display its properties, the listed filesizes match up between the two
> > drives. But when I go to 'my computer' and display the properties of
> > each of the two passport drives, they differ in the size of the data
> > stored on the disk. Can anyone explain this discrepancy in the
> > reported data/free space between the two identical usb drives with
> > identical data?
> > The recycle bin is empty on both drives.
> > Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek
>
> One thing is that directories grow when more files are put in them
> but they do not automatically shrink. Then there is the possibility
> that both drives have different filesystem parameters, e.g one can
> have   a larger cluster size, which results in more wasted space
> at the end of the files for files that do not exactly end
> on a cluster boundary.
>
> Other possibilities exist, What are the concrete numbers you
> are seeing.

You can see the numbers in the screenshot at the top of my posting. As
far as I know, both drives have been formatted in an identical way
(NTFS is the default filesystem).