From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 18 feb, 21:17, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-
> newsgro...(a)NTLWorld.COM> wrote:
>> http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2852/passportdiscrepancy.jpg
>> I have two identical WD 1tb passport usb drives filled with identical data. [...]
>>

>> ... but not necessarily identical metadata.? That 28KiB difference is a mere 28 deleted MFT records, for example.? Or it could be journal entries, security descriptor records, or quite a number of other things.
>>

>> But isn't this the kind of meta data that is supposed to disappear when the recyclebin is emptied?
>>

>> Put simply: No.? Deleted MFT records are nothing to do with files in the recycle bin, for example.
>>

>> Is there any other way to clear any superfluous data somehow?
>>

>> Put simply: Short of drastic measures such as reformatting the volume, no.? The MFT doesn't shrink in normal operation, for example.? And the security descriptor stream is only compacted bychkdsk.? (See MSKB 919241.)
>>

>> we're talking about two identical drives and identical data that is supposed to be stored on the drive.
>>

>> No, we're not.? As I said, the metadata are not necessarily identical.
>>

> I see. Could a virus or malware somehow gain access to this space
> where this metadata is stored to hide a copy of itself there?
> Can I use a diskeditor like HxD or DiskExplorer for NTFS to view this
> metadata somehow?

Very, very unlikely as this is only possible if the malware
has a very good unsderstanding of NTFS. This would be hard to
do and make the malware large, hence easy to detect. Malware
can hide in other places thogh, for example the partially
used clusters at file ends or brazenly in seemingly unused
space.

This is almost certainly not malware. Also the extra
space may well be used with the emtadata just being a bit
more compact on the one drive.

As I said, don't worry about this, a bit of uncertainity
in metadata size is expected in modern filesystems. If
you look at the actual size difference, you can understand
why nobody invested a lot of effort to optimize this.
It is just not worth the effort.

If you really want to make both drives the same size, the
only way I see is to format them and then put all files
on both using exactly the same procedure. This may still
not work, as the metadata is always slightly different,
for example in the timestamps.

If you really want to look at the metadata, good luck.
I expect analyzing these drives manually in detail might
take more than a month of time, possible much more.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Arno wrote:
>> If you really want to make both drives the same size, the
>> only way I see is to format them and then put all files
>> on both using exactly the same procedure. This may still
>> not work, as the metadata is always slightly different,
>> for example in the timestamps.

> Something like a RAID-based mirroring system which copies data at a much
> lower level than the filesystem.

Yes. Or making a copy with a sector imager. Don't use both
drives at the same time aftert this, as the GUIDs will
allso have been copied.

Arno