From: Jonathan Gilbert on
Hello,

I have a user-mode app that sometimes needs to run on Terminal
Services machines. One process creates a global named event that other
processes must be able to signal. If both processes are owned by the
same user, it works perfectly. However, if they're owned by different
users, then when the second process attempts to open a handle to the
event, it gets ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED. I have tried assigning a NULL to a
security descriptor and using that in the creation of the named event,
but it did not have any effect. I am testing on a Windows Server 2008
R2 Terminal Server -- I have tried both with UAC on and off and that
also does not help. Does anyone have some finely-honed intuition as to
what might be going on here? :-)

Thanks,

Jonathan Gilbert
From: Jonathan Gilbert on
On Mar 31, 5:00 pm, Jonathan Gilbert <logic...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [..] I have tried assigning a NULL to a security descriptor [..]

I meant to type "a NULL DACL". :-)

Jonathan Gilbert