From: tighe on
hope i explain this well. i have a similar setup, as below, but for the
"MachineCounter" table i have a finacial period. this period is essentially
a month, but items can come be in/out in the period before or after but it
still needs to be tracked in that period, so today i, may 5, i might recieve
something for the period of April. how do i do this? also i am truly
tracking three types of in/out, would it be better to have each item to track
be a seperate table and when it is tracked the system auto adds the Period
for each record in the seperate table(s)?

the one main issue i am having with the seperate table is to be able to edit
the tracking table but still have the avialability to track any period at
once.

From: KARL DEWEY on
I think your MachineCounter table -
MachineCounter --
- MachineID
- Date (date/time?)
- IN
- OUT

neds to be like this -
MachineCounter --
- MachineID
- IN (date/time)
- OUT (date/time)

But I need to know how you define the Financial Period.

--
Build a little, test a little.

From: tighe on
Karl,

Financial Period, is technically one calendar month, but the tracking may
occur before, during, or after that period. we also may be working on
multiple periods for a certain client as once. each item will be tracked in
all periods. my biggest block is making sure that the period is recorded for
when it has been tracked.

From: Steve on
Look at the Northwind sample database. It seems to me you need something
like the Order form with an OrderDetails subform. You record the period and
other general info in the main form and each item in the subform. For
entering the period, you need a Year table and a month (1 to 12) table. You
then can use comboboxes in the main form to enter the Year and month.

Steve
santus(a)penn.com