From: Sleepy on
Hi guys n gals

I have a home network here of 3 PCs - mine was Vista Home Premium 32 - my
brother's still Vista 32 - my sister's Win XP 32.
I have a Canon iP4500 printer which I shared over the LAN (and it was easy
to do so) but I've upgraded to Windows 7 64bit
and setting up the printer sharing is a nightmare. I've emailed Canon and
they replied that the ip4500 is not a network printer (whatever that means!)
and pointed me to a file download. No instructions were included so I
downloaded and ran the file but I see no difference at all - no extra
options and still no printer sharing.

Obviously I've sent Canon and rather terse reply - I've got a camera,
printer and scanner from them and this is the first time Ive had to trouble
them for help and this is the level of support I get!

Can you guys help please?

From: Jef Roe on

"Sleepy" <nospam(a)here.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys n gals
>
> I have a home network here of 3 PCs - mine was Vista Home Premium 32 - my
> brother's still Vista 32 - my sister's Win XP 32.
> I have a Canon iP4500 printer which I shared over the LAN (and it was easy
> to do so) but I've upgraded to Windows 7 64bit
> and setting up the printer sharing is a nightmare. I've emailed Canon and
> they replied that the ip4500 is not a network printer (whatever that
> means!) and pointed me to a file download. No instructions were included
> so I downloaded and ran the file but I see no difference at all - no extra
> options and still no printer sharing.
>
> Obviously I've sent Canon and rather terse reply - I've got a camera,
> printer and scanner from them and this is the first time Ive had to
> trouble them for help and this is the level of support I get!
>
> Can you guys help please?

Just to clarify the Canon iP4500 is connected by USB to your comp which is
now running Win 7.

Are you wireless or wired LAN.

A network printer is one that either connects to the LAN by wire or has a
warless card inside so it needs no physical connection from any comp.

How is yours connected.

From: Jef Roe on
warless = wireless

From: Sleepy on

"Jef Roe" <Me(a)btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Sleepy" <nospam(a)here.com> wrote in message
>> Hi guys n gals
>>
>> I have a home network here of 3 PCs - mine was Vista Home Premium 32 - my
>> brother's still Vista 32 - my sister's Win XP 32.
>> I have a Canon iP4500 printer which I shared over the LAN (and it was
>> easy to do so) but I've upgraded to Windows 7 64bit
>> and setting up the printer sharing is a nightmare. I've emailed Canon and
>> they replied that the ip4500 is not a network printer (whatever that
>> means!) and pointed me to a file download. No instructions were included
>> so I downloaded and ran the file but I see no difference at all - no
>> extra options and still no printer sharing.
>>
>> Obviously I've sent Canon and rather terse reply - I've got a camera,
>> printer and scanner from them and this is the first time Ive had to
>> trouble them for help and this is the level of support I get!
>>
>> Can you guys help please?
>
> Just to clarify the Canon iP4500 is connected by USB to your comp which is
> now running Win 7.
>
> Are you wireless or wired LAN.
>
> A network printer is one that either connects to the LAN by wire or has a
> warless card inside so it needs no physical connection from any comp.
>
> How is yours connected.

thanks Jef - yes the iP4500 is connected to my PC by USB cable and the
network is wired via a Linksys router.
I've 64 bit drivers installed that came with Win7 and there is an option to
install x86 drivers but when I try that option and browse to the
Installation CD that came with the Printer I hit a brick wall - it just
cannot find or install drivers. The file that Canon directed me to isnt a
driver file - its vaguely says something about added functionality but its
doesnt seem to do a damn thing.

From: Jef Roe on

> "Jef Roe" <Me(a)btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Sleepy" <nospam(a)here.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi guys n gals
>>>
>>> I have a home network here of 3 PCs - mine was Vista Home Premium 32 -
>>> my brother's still Vista 32 - my sister's Win XP 32.
>>> I have a Canon iP4500 printer which I shared over the LAN (and it was
>>> easy to do so) but I've upgraded to Windows 7 64bit
>>> and setting up the printer sharing is a nightmare. I've emailed Canon
>>> and they replied that the ip4500 is not a network printer (whatever that
>>> means!) and pointed me to a file download. No instructions were included
>>> so I downloaded and ran the file but I see no difference at all - no
>>> extra options and still no printer sharing.
>>>
>>> Obviously I've sent Canon and rather terse reply - I've got a camera,
>>> printer and scanner from them and this is the first time Ive had to
>>> trouble them for help and this is the level of support I get!
>>>
>>> Can you guys help please?
>>
>> Just to clarify the Canon iP4500 is connected by USB to your comp which
>> is now running Win 7.
>>
>> Are you wireless or wired LAN.
>>
>> A network printer is one that either connects to the LAN by wire or has a
>> warless card inside so it needs no physical connection from any comp.
>>
>> How is yours connected.
>
> thanks Jef - yes the iP4500 is connected to my PC by USB cable and the
> network is wired via a Linksys router.
> I've 64 bit drivers installed that came with Win7 and there is an option
> to install x86 drivers but when I try that option and browse to the
> Installation CD that came with the Printer I hit a brick wall - it just
> cannot find or install drivers. The file that Canon directed me to isnt a
> driver file - its vaguely says something about added functionality but its
> doesnt seem to do a damn thing.

driver for 7

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0035869.asp?model=