From: Khaled Blah on
Is there anyone who can help with this question?

Regards,
Khaled

2010/4/30 Khaled Blah <khaled.blah(a)googlemail.com>:
> Can anyone give me any hints please? I've read the man pages for
> smb.conf and for net and then I read the manual about the "net
> command". Still, I don't know what testjoin actually does or tries to
> do.
>
> Regards,
> Khaled
>
> 2010/4/26 Khaled Blah <khaled.blah(a)googlemail.com>:
>> I hope bumping is not frowned upon in this list :)
>>
>> cheers,
>> Khaled
>>
>> 2010/4/24 Khaled Blah <khaled.blah(a)googlemail.com>:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I am new to this list and hopefully I am at the right place. Firstly,
>>> thanks to everyone involved in this project. You do a great job!
>>>
>>> Now, I use "net" to join Windows AD domains and was wondering where I
>>> can find out more information on what happens during a "net ads
>>> testjoin". The information I found on the documentation pages of net
>>> or smb.conf on the website did not say much about it. I have noticed
>>> that a "testjoin" will ask for a password when the domain membership
>>> is not valid and it'll ignore kerberos tickets. Is there something I
>>> am missing here?
>>>
>>> I am grateful to any insight you guys could give me!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Khaled

> SNIP
>
> Is there anyone who can help with this question?

prism# net ads testjoin
Join is OK

That's about it. Pretty simple.

> Regards,
> Khaled
>
> 2010/4/30 Khaled Blah <khaled.blah(a)googlemail.com>:
>>
>> Can anyone give me any hints please? I've read the man pages for
>> smb.conf and for net and then I read the manual about the "net
>> command". Still, I don't know what testjoin actually does or tries to
>> do.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Khaled
>>
>> 2010/4/26 Khaled Blah <khaled.blah(a)googlemail.com>:
>>>
>>> I hope bumping is not frowned upon in this list :)
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Khaled

It seems you didn't even read my initial question. Quoting myself here:

<quote>
Now, I use "net" to join Windows AD domains and was wondering where I
can find out more information on what happens during a "net ads
testjoin". The information I found on the documentation pages of net
or smb.conf on the website did not say much about it. I have noticed
that a "testjoin" will ask for a password when the domain membership
is not valid and it'll ignore kerberos tickets. Is there something I
am missing here?
</quote>

Regards,
Khaled

On Tuesday 06/07/2010 at 8:03 am, Khaled Blah wrote:
> It seems you didn't even read my initial question. Quoting myself
> here:

It seems you are asking for the answer to the ultimate question, the
answer of which is 42. However, you haven't asked THE question.

> <quote>
> Now, I use "net" to join Windows AD domains and was wondering where I
> can find out more information on what happens during a "net ads
> testjoin".
It tests the validity of the Samba server's AD machine account status.
You can see what's happening with wireshark or other packet sniffer.

> The information I found on the documentation pages of net
> or smb.conf on the website did not say much about it. I have noticed
> that a "testjoin" will ask for a password when the domain membership
> is not valid and it'll ignore kerberos tickets. Is there something I
> am missing here?

I dunno, what are you looking for?

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 10:01 AM, <tms3(a)tms3.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 06/07/2010 at 8:03 am, Khaled Blah wrote:
>
> It seems you didn't even read my initial question. Quoting myself here:
>>

> It seems you are asking for the answer to the ultimate question, the answer
> of which is 42. However, you haven't asked THE question.
>

>> <quote>
>> Now, I use "net" to join Windows AD domains and was wondering where I
>> can find out more information on what happens during a "net ads
>> testjoin".
>>
> It tests the validity of the Samba server's AD machine account status. You
> can see what's happening with wireshark or other packet sniffer.
>

>> The information I found on the documentation pages of net
>> or smb.conf on the website did not say much about it. I have noticed
>> that a "testjoin" will ask for a password when the domain membership
>> is not valid and it'll ignore kerberos tickets. Is there something I
>> am missing here?
>>

> I dunno, what are you looking for?
>

>> </quote>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Khaled
>>
>> 2010/7/6 <tms3(a)tms3.com>:
>>

>>> SNIP
>>>
>>> Is there anyone who can help with this question?
>>>
>>> prism# net ads testjoin
>>> Join is OK
>>>
>>> That's about it. Pretty simple.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Khaled

You may find some information in chapter 10 of the book Using Samba by **Gerald
Carter <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/1035>; Jay
Ts<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/996>;
Robert Eckstein <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/155>