From: Andrew Morton on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 09:10:54 +0200 Stefani Seibold <stefani(a)seibold.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> once again. Kernel 2.6.35 is out and i want to know if there is play plan to
> merge the generic kfifo API. All complains was fixed, so there is no
> reason to shift the merge again. Please gibe me a short answer.

Sorry, I didn't get around to looking at it. Like those 100
checkpoint/restart patches.

We'll get there.
From: Greg KH on
On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 09:10:54AM +0200, Stefani Seibold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> once again. Kernel 2.6.35 is out and i want to know if there is play plan to
> merge the generic kfifo API. All complains was fixed, so there is no
> reason to shift the merge again. Please gibe me a short answer.

These have been in the -mm tree for a few major kernel releases now,
right? And they are API safe, and only change the internals, right?

If so, I see no objection to merging them now, especially as you will be
around to fix up any problems that people have, right? :)

thanks,

greg k-h
From: Stefani Seibold on
Am Mittwoch, den 04.08.2010, 12:46 -0700 schrieb Greg KH:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 09:10:54AM +0200, Stefani Seibold wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > once again. Kernel 2.6.35 is out and i want to know if there is play plan to
> > merge the generic kfifo API. All complains was fixed, so there is no
> > reason to shift the merge again. Please gibe me a short answer.
>
> These have been in the -mm tree for a few major kernel releases now,
> right? And they are API safe, and only change the internals, right?
>
> If so, I see no objection to merging them now, especially as you will be
> around to fix up any problems that people have, right? :)

right!

From: Greg KH on
On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 10:09:11PM +0200, Stefani Seibold wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 04.08.2010, 12:46 -0700 schrieb Greg KH:
> > On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 09:10:54AM +0200, Stefani Seibold wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > once again. Kernel 2.6.35 is out and i want to know if there is play plan to
> > > merge the generic kfifo API. All complains was fixed, so there is no
> > > reason to shift the merge again. Please gibe me a short answer.
> >
> > These have been in the -mm tree for a few major kernel releases now,
> > right? And they are API safe, and only change the internals, right?
> >
> > If so, I see no objection to merging them now, especially as you will be
> > around to fix up any problems that people have, right? :)
> >

> right!

Great. As Andrew doesn't have the time to send them on, want me to? If
so, care to point me at them in his tree, or resend them to me?

thanks,

greg k-h
From: Andrew Morton on
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 13:17:24 -0700
Greg KH <gregkh(a)suse.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 10:09:11PM +0200, Stefani Seibold wrote:

> > > These have been in the -mm tree for a few major kernel releases now,
> > > right? And they are API safe, and only change the internals, right?
> > >
> > > If so, I see no objection to merging them now, especially as you will be
> > > around to fix up any problems that people have, right? :)
> > >

> > right!
>
> Great. As Andrew doesn't have the time to send them on, want me to? If
> so, care to point me at them in his tree, or resend them to me?

One does a little more than "send things on"...

I have a little pile of kfifo changes queud for 2.6.36. The "generic
kfifo" patches are a large rotorooting of the whole facility, based on
that work (I hope).

There's also the abandoned
kfifo-replace-the-old-non-generic-api-kfifo-fix-scatterlist-usage.patch
which never got resolved with the originator.