From: silvanet on
I have a PC running Windows XP SP3. It has two ethernet ports. One connects
via an asoka pluglink 9650 via the house electrical lines to my comcast
access point. I wan to set up a separate network via the second ethernet.
When I hook up my Dlink router to that second port though, if I type the
router's default address 192.168.0.1, the interface for the comcast modem
comes up. That means I am working with the first port. I can see the lights
flashing on both the second nic and on the dlink router, but I know I'm not
getting to its access. Any ideas on how I have to do this?

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
To create a second network you have to set the devices related to it another
Subnet.
E.g. one network is 192.168.0.1 and the second would be 192.168.2.1 the
3rd group of numbers is the subnet.
You have to disconnect from the asoka, connect the D-Link by itself, log to
its menus, and change its core IP to something like
192.168.2.1
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: silvanet via WindowsKB.com on
Thanks Jack, but I can't reach my DLink interface. It comes factory set at
192.168.0.1
The problem is that the comcast modem uses that address for its default
gateway.
I tried hooking the router to both NICs. Not sure if ethernet cable should
connect to the internet port on the router or one of the lan ports. I tried
both with no results.
I manually set the IP address in the second card to 192.168.2.1 and enabled
it.
Windows says it's connected, but it receives no packets.
If I connect the internet to the internet port on the DLink and use one of
the LAN ports to connect the second NIC, I get an error because the 192.168.0.
1 address is then being used by both the comcast modem and the DLink router.
How can I change the DLink's default set address?
I can't reach the DLink directly without an internet connection on either NIc.

The IP address on the NIC card connected to the asoka must be obtained
automatically...the comcast modem assigns that. So, I cannot manually change
the ip address on the second NIC and get an internet connection. I can't get
around not being able to reach my router's interface.

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Take a look at this page it describe the principle of such connection and
how to set it.
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
Put the D-Link on a computer that it is Not connected to any thing else.
Log to the D-Link and change its Core IP to 192.168.0.10
Devices on the same Network must have an IP of 192.168.X.Y
When X is exactly the same on all of them, and the only the Y changes to
identify the specific device.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: silvanet via WindowsKB.com on
Wow...you guys really are the best! I joined up and will regularly check this
forum. Please forgive this small violation...I promise I won't do it again...
I just could not resist to compliment you.

F A N T A S T I C