From: transkawa on

I know not a thing about animation. have researched extensively on
wikipedia and google for basic how-to materials for newbie animation
enthusiasts but have fallen short.
have links and links on animation but none gives me the basic how-to.
can anyone recommend an online reference, material, text etc.
i really would love to delve into the animation features inherent in
javafx and ajax. have them in my plans for some junior high school and
high school educational materials, especially in maths.
been blabbing.
animation material for a newbie pleasesesese!!!
xnt
--
happy are those who have endured
for they shall reap bountifully
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
transkawa <transkawa(a)yahoo.fr> writes:

> I know not a thing about animation. have researched extensively on
> wikipedia and google for basic how-to materials for newbie animation
> enthusiasts but have fallen short.
> have links and links on animation but none gives me the basic how-to.
> can anyone recommend an online reference, material, text etc.
> i really would love to delve into the animation features inherent in
> javafx and ajax. have them in my plans for some junior high school and
> high school educational materials, especially in maths.
> been blabbing.
> animation material for a newbie pleasesesese!!!

The first thing is that we use pixmap (pixel map) displays.

That means that screen controler has some memory where we may store
bits, and depending on the pattern of bits stored in this memory, some
light will be emited or not from the various parts of screen, these
parts being organized in a rectangular (or often square) matrix of
pixels.

The mapping between the memory addresses and the pixels on the screen
may be of various classes (planar or chunky), depending how the data of
each pixel is grouped.

In planar pixmaps, each plane of the image, that is, each fundamental
color (red, green, blue in case of the substractive color system used by
light emiting displays; cyan, magenta, yellow, black, in the case of
additive color system used by light reflective displays (eg. printed
paper, or some eBook reader screens)) is stored in a separate matrix.

In chunky pixmaps, the whole pixel color is stored in the same record,
and we have a single matrix of pixels.

So, to display an image, we will fill the video memory with the
codification of the color of each pixel we want to see.

Now for the animation part, you have to know that the human eyes has a
property called remanence, which means that an image projected on the
retina will stay there for a small time (until the chemicals levels in
the retinal cells restore their levels). So if we project an image from
t0 to t1, and no image from t1 to t2, then another image from t2 to t3
and no image from t3 to t4, etc, the eyes will only see the images, and
if they change, the brain will interpret a movement, or animation, as
long as the period t2-t0 = t4-t2, etc is short enough, on the order of
1/30 second.

-|------|---|-------------|---|--------------|----|----------------> time
| to t1 t2 t3 t4 t5

In the case of computer screens, we have refreshing periods between
60�Hz and 120 Hz typically, so if we leave in the video memory a pixmap
long enough for it to be emited by the screen, then we can change it
(and we have 1/60 second to do it which is a very long time, for a
processor, about 50 million instructions), and change it again for the
next period, an so on, and this will produce animated images, or
animation.

So now you have the choice between the low level road, where you will
learn about VGA (eg vgalib on Linux), and video card drivers and 3D GPU
Graphic Processing Units (cf nvidia CUDA), X11, OpenGL, DirectX, and
physics and physics simulation engines, etc which will lead to high
realism rendering, realistic games, animations, visualisations and
simulations,

or the high level road where you will use the libraries written by the
people who took the low level road, and where you will be able to use
stuff like flash, javafx, or even Alice to write very easily little
animation programs.

http://www.alice.org/index.php?page=what_is_alice/what_is_alice

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com
From: transkawa on
In article <87vd9jylju.fsf(a)255.Red-95-125-209.staticIP.rima-tde.net>,
pjb(a)informatimago.com says...

> transkawa <transkawa(a)yahoo.fr> writes:
>
> > I know not a thing about animation. have researched extensively on
> > wikipedia and google for basic how-to materials for newbie animation
> > enthusiasts but have fallen short.
> > have links and links on animation but none gives me the basic how-to.
> > can anyone recommend an online reference, material, text etc.
> > i really would love to delve into the animation features inherent in
> > javafx and ajax. have them in my plans for some junior high school and
> > high school educational materials, especially in maths.
> > been blabbing.
> > animation material for a newbie pleasesesese!!!
>
> The first thing is that we use pixmap (pixel map) displays.

don't need this information

> That means that screen controler has some memory where we may store
> bits, and depending on the pattern of bits stored in this memory, some
> light will be emited or not from the various parts of screen, these
> parts being organized in a rectangular (or often square) matrix of
> pixels.

not interested in the low level details.

> The mapping between the memory addresses and the pixels on the screen
> may be of various classes (planar or chunky), depending how the data of
> each pixel is grouped.
>
> In planar pixmaps, each plane of the image, that is, each fundamental
> color (red, green, blue in case of the substractive color system used by
> light emiting displays; cyan, magenta, yellow, black, in the case of
> additive color system used by light reflective displays (eg. printed
> paper, or some eBook reader screens)) is stored in a separate matrix.

might find this details helpful though.

> In chunky pixmaps, the whole pixel color is stored in the same record,
> and we have a single matrix of pixels.
>
> So, to display an image, we will fill the video memory with the
> codification of the color of each pixel we want to see.
>

> Now for the animation part, you have to know that the human eyes has a
> property called remanence, which means that an image projected on the
> retina will stay there for a small time (until the chemicals levels in
> the retinal cells restore their levels). So if we project an image from
> t0 to t1, and no image from t1 to t2, then another image from t2 to t3
> and no image from t3 to t4, etc, the eyes will only see the images, and
> if they change, the brain will interpret a movement, or animation, as
> long as the period t2-t0 = t4-t2, etc is short enough, on the order of
> 1/30 second.

this here is what i call animation, whether it be high or low level. I
usually want to write an animated sequence of movements or characters
but find i don't have the inspiration to even analyse what to do; the
INSPIRATION beats me and without such there is no representation and no
way of doing the design. writing the code, whether with javafx or
javascript etc is easy for me. knowing the how-to concerning the facts
about animation, that is what i am looking for.
would really love your help or input on this. the javafx or java or
javascript is the easy part.
xnt