From: jiwat on
Hi guys

I badly need the help. I have following system.
WIndows XP
Wireless card Atheros AR5001X+Wirelss Network adapter

Now suddenly the wireless network show the following message with no
networks shown to connect

"No wireless Networks were found in the range.
Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on.
To see an updated list click "Refresh Network list"

When we click refresh, still no networks are shown in the list.

There are definitely wireless network avilable, but my cmputer simply
doesnot detect any.

Can anyone help me to resolve this problem.

Thankyou so much.

Fellow need help.
From: WLW on
One of the things that just about everyone in networking is trying to
encourage is for people who manage wireless networks to switch their access
points from "Broadcast SSID Enabled" to "Broadcast SSID Disabled" for
security purposes.

If this is done then the wireless network does NOT show up in a Available
Wireless Networks list unless you already know the SSID and manually add it
to the list.

Could this be what happened to you?

--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

From: Eric Cross [MVP] on
Disabling the broadcast of a SSID provides no actual security from a
potential attacker. It just makes it less visible. The only thing you can do
is change the SSID so it doesn't make immediate association to your company
or network. Make sure you change the default SSID. If you are not
broadcasting the SSID, the wireless service in Windows XP won't detect it.
There is no good reason not to broadcast a SSID.

_______________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

From: WLW on
Hi, Eric -

> There is no good reason not to broadcast a SSID.

Actually, sometime there really can be good reasons to broadcast an SSID. I
have set up "Guest Wireless" networks at several places including companies,
libraries, restaurants and coffee shops for customers, guests and transient
workers to use. At one company it was in the conference room so that
visiting salesmen could easily have Internet access to do demos. At another
company it was in the accounting area so that the Auditors could hook up
their laptops. In all of these we set the SSID Broadcast to enabled on
purpose. We also put that whole wireless network on a separate firewall DMZ
so that those wireless users had access to the Internet but not to the
company network.

Disabling the SSID broadcast may not be the ONLY thing to do to increase
security on wireless networks, but it does keep the more simplistic
"War-Wireless" roamers, and the kid next door, from easily seeing your
network.

--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

From: jiwat on
Hi

Actaully problem was very simple, as we found that some kids have turned off
wireless LAN, by pushing a button specifically for WLAN on our keyboard.

Once we turned it on, it worked back.

Thankyou so much for support however.

Pages: 1
Next: Wireless Connection Problems