From: Zoolook on
Hint: interfaces

El 28/04/2010 8:55, "Siju George" <sgeorge.ml(a)gmail.com> escribió:

Hi,

I have installed

ii samba 2:3.2.5-4lenny9 a
LanManager-like file and printer server for Unix
ii samba-common 2:3.2.5-4lenny9
Samba common files used by both the server and the client

On Debian Lenny and i am sharing directories to Windows Users successfully.

I configured it as a PDC with the following configuration.

[global]
workgroup = HIFXNX
netbios name = HIFXNXDC
server string = HIFXNX Domain Controller, PHP Development
Server, Subversion Server, DNS Server
interfaces = 172.16.2.0/255.255.255.255
bind interfaces only = Yes
obey pam restrictions = Yes
passdb backend = tdbsam
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser --quiet
--disabled-password --gecos "" %u
add group script = /usr/sbin/addgroup --force-badname %g
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c "%u
machine account" -d /var/lib/samba -s /bin/false %u
domain logons = Yes
os level = 33
preferred master = Auto
domain master = Yes
dns proxy = No

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
create mask = 0700
directory mask = 0700
browseable = No

[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /home/samba/netlogon
guest ok = Yes
share modes = No

I can get the domain & domain controller resolved using DNS from the
Windows XP machine.

C:\Documents and Settings\secure>nslookup hifxnx.local
Server: hifxpms.hifxchn2.local
Address: 172.16.2.26

Name: hifxnx.local
Address: 172.16.2.0

C:\Documents and Settings\secure>nslookup hifxnxdc.hifxnx.local
Server: hifxpms.hifxchn2.local
Address: 172.16.2.26

Name: hifxnxdc.hifxnx.local
Address: 172.16.2.0

C:\Documents and Settings\secure>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : winxsp2-vm
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : AMD PCNET Family PCI
Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-DE-AB-29
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
172.17.1.0

But when I try to join the domain from the Windows XP machine.
I get the error

"A Domain Controller for the domain hifxnx.local could not be contacted"

and the debug log file dcdiag.txt contains these details.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service
location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for
domain hifxnx.local:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.hifxnx.local

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its
child zone:

hifxnx.local
local
.. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help

It will be great if some one can point out the problem to me :-)

Thanks

--Siju
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:36 AM, Zoolook <nbensa(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hint:  interfaces

Could you please explain?
Should I make Samba listen on all available IP address for the Domain
Controller to function?
It already functions as a File Server very well with this interface
configuration.
users in 172.16.0.0/12 can access all the shares.

Thanks

--Siju
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 7:38 AM, John H Terpstra <jht(a)samba.org> wrote:
> On 04/28/2010 06:55 AM, Siju George wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have installed
>>
>> ii  samba                                 2:3.2.5-4lenny9            a
>> LanManager-like file and printer server for Unix
>> ii  samba-common                          2:3.2.5-4lenny9
>> Samba common files used by both the server and the client
>>
>> On Debian Lenny and i am sharing directories to Windows Users successfully.
>>
>> I configured it as a PDC with the following configuration.
>>

>> [global]
>>        workgroup = HIFXNX
>>        netbios name = HIFXNXDC
>>        server string = HIFXNX Domain Controller, PHP Development
>> Server, Subversion Server, DNS Server
>>        interfaces = 172.16.2.0/255.255.255.255
>
> Can this really work?  Note the size of the netmask!
>
> Maybe better:
>        interfaces = interface_name
>
> If necessary to restrict IP address range, us the "hosts allow" parameter.

Thanks for your input John,

if I use this interfaces = interface_name then it listens on all IP
addresses on that interface and there are many. It causes confusion to
users so I wanted to restrict the IP address that samba listens to
172.16.2.0.

Actually it works as a file server well with this configuraion and
people can access all the shares.

thanks

--Siju
2010/4/28 Siju George <sgeorge.ml(a)gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:36 AM, Zoolook <nbensa(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hint:  interfaces
>>

> Could you please explain?

yes of course. I'm sorry I didn't before. I was traveling and my phone
is not the best device to write an email (touch screens REAAAAALLLY
s*cks)

Basically, and just from my experience, /32 doesn't do what you think it does.

If you want samba to listen on certain ip/net range, just do:

interfaces = 172.16.2.0/12

and it will do the right thing (unless your server have more than one
ip on 172.16.2.0/12)

I'm actually surprised that 172.16.2.0/32 does serve your clients. I
tried that configuration a few years back and it didn't work at all
(samba 3.0.1something on debian)

Also, I remember having problems with domain subfixes named .local;
perhaps you'd like to rename it to .localdomain (I hope this is a test
network...)

Oh. And you don't have a "wins support = yes" (default is no IIRC)

What's the output of:

smbclient -L 172.16.2.0 -U%
nmblookup -A 172.16.2.0

?

Regards,
Norberto
On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 4:56 AM, Zoolook <nbensa(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> yes of course. I'm sorry I didn't before. I was traveling and my phone
> is not the best device to write an email (touch screens REAAAAALLLY
> s*cks)

Thanks a million norberto :-)

> What's the output of:
>
> smbclient -L 172.16.2.0 -U%

I typed this from another machine and not from 172.16.2.0

]$ smbclient -L 172.16.2.0 -U%
creating lame upcase table
creating lame lowcase table
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file
"/etc/samba/smb.conf":
No such file or directory
smbclient: Can't load /etc/samba/smb.conf - run testparm to debug it
Domain=[HIFXNX] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.5]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
netlogon Disk Network Logon Service
print$ Disk Printer Drivers
www-old Disk www from devsrv and tutoromsrv
misc-old Disk www from devsrv and tutoromsrv
misc Disk www from devsrv and tutoromsrv
shopping Disk
tusers Disk tusers
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (HIFXNX Domain
Controller, PHP Development Server, Subversion Server, DNS Server)
Domain=[HIFXNX] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.5]

Server Comment
--------- -------
HIFXNXDC HIFXNX Domain Controller, PHP Development Server

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
HIFXNX HIFXNXDC

> nmblookup -A 172.16.2.0

Looking up status of 172.16.2.0
HIFXNXDC <00> - B <ACTIVE>
HIFXNXDC <03> - B <ACTIVE>
HIFXNXDC <20> - B <ACTIVE>
..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
HIFXNX <1d> - B <ACTIVE>
HIFXNX <1b> - B <ACTIVE>
HIFXNX <1c> - B <ACTIVE>
HIFXNX <1e> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>