From: Jim Thomlinson on
While the number of sheets you can have is limited only by memory, the number
of sheets that you should have is limited by practicallity. I will guarantee
you that you will hit your practical limit long before you hit the memory
limit.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

From: Gord Dibben on
One more note....................

The maximum number of default sheets for a new workbook is 255

You can add more after the workbook is open............depending upon memory
as others have pointed out.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP