From: R. Mark Clayton on

"Brian Gregory [UK]" <ng(a)bgdsv.co.uk> wrote in message

SNIP

> Is this called "Mobile Broadband" which usually seems to imply you can use
> it more or less as you wish or "Mobile Internet" which often implies only
> browsing (a rather vague term) on your phone is allowed and may even
> explicitly forbid tethering your phone to a PC or laptop in the terms and
> conditions.

Well indeed they do,
http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/currentpromotions#
OTOH they actively promote using your phone as a modem
http://shop.o2.co.uk/extras/mobileBroadband

as I was thinking of getting a netbook and wanted to use my phone as a modem
(e.g. via Bluetooth), I queried this with O2.

Several lengthy exchanges resulted in no sensible response and a threat of
�2.25p/ MB for overshoot, but they made a refund of �20 (TVM, I haven't lost
any money on this one - yet).

No clarity on what happens when my phone makes its Voip connection over 3G
either :-((

From: Brian Gregory [UK] on
"R. Mark Clayton" <nospamclayton(a)btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Brian Gregory [UK]" <ng(a)bgdsv.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> SNIP
>
>> Is this called "Mobile Broadband" which usually seems to imply you can
>> use it more or less as you wish or "Mobile Internet" which often implies
>> only browsing (a rather vague term) on your phone is allowed and may even
>> explicitly forbid tethering your phone to a PC or laptop in the terms and
>> conditions.
>>

> Well indeed they do,
> http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/currentpromotions#
> OTOH they actively promote using your phone as a modem
> http://shop.o2.co.uk/extras/mobileBroadband
>
> as I was thinking of getting a netbook and wanted to use my phone as a
> modem (e.g. via Bluetooth), I queried this with O2.
>
> Several lengthy exchanges resulted in no sensible response and a threat of
> �2.25p/ MB for overshoot, but they made a refund of �20 (TVM, I haven't
> lost any money on this one - yet).
>
> No clarity on what happens when my phone makes its Voip connection over 3G
> either :-((

They're trying to get the best of both worlds, gain new customers who
believe they can use their phone as a modem while retaining the possibility
of surcharging or cutting off any that move a lot of data so that they are
less profitable to keep as customers.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
ng(a)bgdsv.co.uk