From: riggor9999 on

"riggor9999" <riggor9999(a)nospam_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Jasen Betts" <jasen(a)xnet.co.nz> wrote in message
>> On 2010-07-26, riggor9999 <riggor9999(a)nospam_yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Hello -
>>>
>>> I am having a strange problem that I cannot resolve..I am running SUSE
>>> SLES
>>> 10 SP1.
>>>
>>> I use the following command to backup my entire system to an external
>>> USB
>>> drive:
>>>
>>> tar -cvpf /media/disk/os_backup/full_backup_`date
>>> '+%d-%m-%Y'`.tar --directory=/ --exclude=proc --exclude=tmp --exclude=backup_scripts
>>> --exclude=media/disk .
>>>
>>> Once complete - the backup size is 202.7GB.
>>>
>>> When I use KDE ARK to view the tar file .... it only shows 5
>>> directories:
>>>
>>> /boot
>>> /opt
>>> /sys
>>> /etc
>>> /lost+found
>>>
>>> and the size of all the directories and files combined is only 732 MB.
>>>
>>> When I use KDE File Roller to view the same tarball ... it shows one
>>> directory .... " . "
>>>
>>> Double clicking on " . " expands to show the same 5 directories.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have an idea what is going on?
>>
>> possibly those GUI tools run out of space.
>> can tar read the file?
>>
>> tar tvf FILENAME
>>

> I thought that may have been it ... but nope ... tar tvf FILENAME confirms
> the above.
>
> I piped it to a file as well so I could search the contents .... tar tvf
> FILENAME > listing.txt

I extracted the file to a temp dir to see the actual contents ... and only
those 5 directories were extracted.

What is funny is that while the backup was running - I could see ALL the
files / directories scroll by, and the backup took hours to compete.

Extracting the 5 directories was quick (to be expected - just for those 5
dirs).