From: eleaticus on
I have proved insufficient in finding web solution, so please tell me:

how to get my old DOS database program running on XP? The error message is
that it is trying to access the hard drive??

That's true!

As far as I know there is no firewall, the AVG is out on this inherited
system

Thanks

oren

From: philo on
eleaticus wrote:
> I have proved insufficient in finding web solution, so please tell me:
>
> how to get my old DOS database program running on XP? The error message is
> that it is trying to access the hard drive??
>
> That's true!
>
> As far as I know there is no firewall, the AVG is out on this inherited
> system
>
> Thanks
>
> oren

Correct...
some DOS programs require "real" disk access which of course is not
possible on an NT system

what you can do is run DOS in a virtual machine

then run your application there
From: eleaticus on

"philo" <philo(a)privacy.invalid> wrote in message
> eleaticus wrote:
> > I have proved insufficient in finding web solution, so please tell me:
> >
> > how to get my old DOS database program running on XP? The error message
is
> > that it is trying to access the hard drive??
> >
> > That's true!
> >
> > As far as I know there is no firewall, the AVG is out on this inherited
> > system
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > oren
> >

> Correct...
> some DOS programs require "real" disk access which of course is not
> possible on an NT system
>
> what you can do is run DOS in a virtual machine
>
> then run your application there

Will dig up "virtual machine" in its help

thanks