From: Vahis on
On 2010-02-02, Ivan Marsh <ivanmarsh(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> J.O. Aho wrote:
>
>> Ivan Marsh wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking for a pre-built application I can load up on an Apache server
>>> to allow secure web based file sharing so I can get rid of our FTP server
>>> and use https.
>>
>> Use ssh with scp (for windroidz there is winscp).
>
> I want the only application necessary on the client machine to be a web
> browser.

Konqueror is such a browser.
It uses fish to browse directories over ssh.
It also uses sftp.

In both cases only sshd running is required on the server side.

Clients connect using url
fish://user(a)remoteserver.com/path
sftp://thatuser(a)remoteserver.com/path

If you want to change the ssh listening port to avoid noise in the logs
fish://user(a)remoteserver.com:nnnn/path
sftp://user(a)remoteserver.com:nnnn/path

where nnnn is the port number.

Make keys so the clients do not need passwords or usernames, just the url
(bookmark) and they are in:
fish://remoteserver.com:nnnn/path
sftp://remoteserver.com:nnnn/path

Vahis
--
"Sunrise 8:33am (EET), sunset 4:36pm (EET) at Espoo, FI (8:03 hours daylight)"
http://waxborg.servepics.com
From: Ivan Marsh on
Vahis wrote:

> On 2010-02-02, Ivan Marsh <ivanmarsh(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> J.O. Aho wrote:

>>> Use ssh with scp (for windroidz there is winscp).
>>
>> I want the only application necessary on the client machine to be a web
>> browser.
>
> Konqueror is such a browser.
> It uses fish to browse directories over ssh.
> It also uses sftp.

Well... let me be more clear. I want the only application they need to be
whatever browser they already have and I don't want to have to know what
browser it is.

This project is to serve zero knowledge clients with as little or no action
to be taken on their part as possible.

--
"All right, all right, if it will make you happy, I will overthrow society."
  - Philip J. Fry
From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-02-02, Ivan Marsh <ivanmarsh(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm looking for a pre-built application I can load up on an Apache server to
> allow secure web based file sharing so I can get rid of our FTP server and
> use https.
>
> I'd like to be able to provide an upload/download repository for client
> companies with accounts for specific employees of those companies to get at
> the client repository. But making sure the various clients have no access
> to each others files.
>
> Any suggestions?

http://www.apacheweek.com/features/put

or if you want something heavier perhaps egroupware.

or some sort of webdav.