From: whit3rd on
On Jul 27, 9:38 am, Scott <smba...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have all these tapes of through-hole resistors, about 100 resistors
> per tape. I've yet to find any box that's particularly suited...

Once the tape is off, a variety of plastic drawers in sets
and vials, and coin envelopes, and ziploc baggies will
work.

But, how to get that darned gummy tape off without
leaving the gunk on the leads?
From: Nunya on
On Jul 27, 9:38 am, Scott <smba...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have all these tapes of through-hole resistors, about 100 resistors
> per tape. I've yet to find any box that's particularly suited to
> organizing them. Right now each tape is labeled and they're all
> stuffed in a shoebox that I have to constantly rummage through to find
> which value I'm looking for. Does anyone have a particularly clever
> way of keeping track of all of them efficiently?

I would keep them on the tapes, and bag those in a zip lock with
a small gel pack in each bag.. Some tapes have a dry adhesive
that will last for years, holding the resistors. To use one, you just
snip the leads right where it enters the adhesive tape strips.
For the versions that get nasty and gooey, I would carefully snip
each resistor out, sacrificing the lead segment within the strips.

As for keeping track, you can tag your bags or your drawer
faces with these:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ed257a10b658746afa47d673727c81940fa6da726df6bdf290882c22ab4d967e048e5f5939af075eac0281faad980861
HTH
From: Nunya on
On Jul 27, 6:18 pm, whit3rd <whit...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 27, 9:38 am, Scott <smba...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have all these tapes of through-hole resistors, about 100 resistors
> > per tape. I've yet to find any box that's particularly suited...
>
> Once the tape is off, a variety of plastic drawers in sets
> and vials, and coin envelopes, and ziploc baggies will
> work.
>
> But, how to get that darned gummy tape off without
> leaving the gunk on the leads?

Some are gooey, and some used a good adhesive
formula on their tape strips which dries as it ages.

I use a flush cut snip, and I *still* inspect the lead
before insertion for goo remnants. For storage,
cutting and then an en-of-lead wipe with a
Chemwipe and IPA before placing them into
a 'clean pile'.
From: Grant on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 18:18:21 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whit3rd(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 27, 9:38 am, Scott <smba...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have all these tapes of through-hole resistors, about 100 resistors
>> per tape. I've yet to find any box that's particularly suited...
>
>Once the tape is off, a variety of plastic drawers in sets
>and vials, and coin envelopes, and ziploc baggies will
>work.
>
>But, how to get that darned gummy tape off without
>leaving the gunk on the leads?

Cut the tape off with the lead, rather than pull the component
from the tape.

Grant.
From: Grant on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:38:21 -0700 (PDT), Scott <smbaker(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I have all these tapes of through-hole resistors, about 100 resistors
>per tape. I've yet to find any box that's particularly suited to
>organizing them. Right now each tape is labeled and they're all
>stuffed in a shoebox that I have to constantly rummage through to find
>which value I'm looking for. Does anyone have a particularly clever
>way of keeping track of all of them efficiently?

I use the bags they come in (Ziploc?) and store them in plastic
containers cut from bottom of three litre milk bottles, see photo:

http://grrr.id.au/image/storage-for-taped-components.jpg

The bags are about 4" x 6", will hold two or three hundred resistors,
or one hundred 3A diodes. I may merge up to four or five values in
a bag depending on quantities.

In the past I used pill bottles, but haven't found a cheap source
of them where I live. Loose components go into bags as well, then
into the larger plastic containers. It's working fairly well for
me.

Grant.