From: Scott on
I have all these tapes of through-hole resistors, about 100 resistors
per tape. I've yet to find any box that's particularly suited to
organizing them. Right now each tape is labeled and they're all
stuffed in a shoebox that I have to constantly rummage through to find
which value I'm looking for. Does anyone have a particularly clever
way of keeping track of all of them efficiently?
From: John Larkin on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:38:21 -0700 (PDT), Scott <smbaker(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>I have all these tapes of through-hole resistors, about 100 resistors
>per tape. I've yet to find any box that's particularly suited to
>organizing them. Right now each tape is labeled and they're all
>stuffed in a shoebox that I have to constantly rummage through to find
>which value I'm looking for. Does anyone have a particularly clever
>way of keeping track of all of them efficiently?

Coin envelopes.

John

From: Jay Ts on
Scott wrote:
> I have all these tapes of through-hole resistors, about 100 resistors
> per tape. I've yet to find any box that's particularly suited to
> organizing them. Right now each tape is labeled and they're all stuffed
> in a shoebox that I have to constantly rummage through to find which
> value I'm looking for. Does anyone have a particularly clever way of
> keeping track of all of them efficiently?

I like using ziploc bags. They are available in all sorts
of sizes. You can look on eBay, or try a jewelry-making
supply business (e.g., Fire Mountain Gems).

You can write on the bags with a Sharpie, or to make things
clearer, use adhesive labels from your favorite office supply
store.

Little ziploc bags can be put into larger ones (from the
grocery store) for 2-levels of organization.

I've found this method simple, easy to implement and use,
and inexpensive. I can find any part in my design kit in
just seconds.

Jay Ts
From: pimpom on
Scott wrote:
> I have all these tapes of through-hole resistors, about 100
> resistors
> per tape. I've yet to find any box that's particularly suited
> organizing them. Right now each tape is labeled and they're all
> stuffed in a shoebox that I have to constantly rummage through
> to find
> which value I'm looking for. Does anyone have a particularly
> clever
> way of keeping track of all of them efficiently?

Some 20 years ago, I had a carpenter make me a compact wooden
chest of shallow drawers for just that purpose. There are five
drawers, each about an inch high internally and divided into 16
open compartments about 3.5x2.5 in. That gives me 80 separate
compartments in a compact enclosure.

I understand that labour is expensive in advanced countries and
it may not be practicable to engage a skilled carpenter like I
did (I think I spent about the equivalent of $12 US then). OTOH
you probably have a range of similar containers in plastic to
choose from.

From: David Eather on
On 28/07/2010 2:38 AM, Scott wrote:
> I have all these tapes of through-hole resistors, about 100 resistors
> per tape. I've yet to find any box that's particularly suited to
> organizing them. Right now each tape is labeled and they're all
> stuffed in a shoebox that I have to constantly rummage through to find
> which value I'm looking for. Does anyone have a particularly clever
> way of keeping track of all of them efficiently?

Find a manufacturer of plastic pill bottles