From: Justin McConnell on

Giggle Girl wrote:
> Onmouseout doesn't work at all.
>From your description below it sounds like it does indeed work.
onmouseleave, along with onmouseenter, are a non-standard events
introduced by Microsoft into IE. Firefox and other browsers will
likely never impelement them. onmouseover and onmouseout are the
events you will have to work with for this to be cross-browser
compatible. Quirksmode offers a nice overview of these standard and
non-standard events: http://www.quirksmode.org/js/events_compinfo.html

> When it encounters a contained div or table, it fires, so it totally
> fails for my purposes...
You have to cancel bubbling/propagation of the event based on what
element is the source of the event. A recent thread from this group
should help you with this:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_thread/thread/174b670db5916966/45bbef24b5ad0de1?q=bubbling&rnum=1

From: petermichaux on

Giggle Girl wrote:
> petermichaux(a)gmail.com wrote:
> > Giggle Girl wrote:

> > I think you want onmouseout.
> >
> > Peter
>
> Onmouseout doesn't work at all.

I think it should.

> When it encounters a contained div or table, it fires, so it totally
> fails for my purposes. Thanks for the thought, though. I did try it
> when I was making this thing before posting...

Post a very small example that shows the problem. Then maybe someone
can see what is wrong.

Peter

From: Martin Honnen on

Giggle Girl wrote:

> I have a very simple "hover menu", which you can see at:
>
> http://s161149005.onlinehome.us/DEMOS/FF/HMENU/main/default.htm
>
> Once you "pop it up", I want it to disappear if you mouse away from it
> without clicking anything. It works using "onmouseleave" in IE.
>
> I need it to work in Firefox!

See
<http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/1606/fid/145>, you
can use mouseout/over events, you only need to check
event.toElement/fromElement respectively event.relatedTarget

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
From: petermichaux on

Justin McConnell wrote:

> >From your description below it sounds like it does indeed work.
> onmouseleave, along with onmouseenter, are a non-standard events
> introduced by Microsoft into IE. Firefox and other browsers will
> likely never impelement them.

It looks like Safari has

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/AppleApplications/Conceptual/SafariJSProgTopics/Tasks/DragAndDrop.html

If Firefox adds these then perhaps these events will be viewed as
semi-standard like innerHTML.

Peter

From: Giggle Girl on

Martin Honnen wrote:
> Giggle Girl wrote:
>
> > I have a very simple "hover menu", which you can see at:
> >
> > http://s161149005.onlinehome.us/DEMOS/FF/HMENU/main/default.htm
> >
> > Once you "pop it up", I want it to disappear if you mouse away from it
> > without clicking anything. It works using "onmouseleave" in IE.
> >
> > I need it to work in Firefox!
>
> See
> <http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/1606/fid/145>, you
> can use mouseout/over events, you only need to check
> event.toElement/fromElement respectively event.relatedTarget
>
> --
>
> Martin Honnen
> http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Thanks for the help and suggestions/links everyone.

I am investigating this issue based on the feedback here. (I just wish
it was as simple in Firefox as it is in IE, but such is life...)

Ann