From: Steve Staples on
Not sure if my subject is misleading or not, but anyway, here it goes...

I am trying to download a file using file_get_contents($url) which
happens to be a .zip file.

I have no issues downloading the file, saving it to the harddrive,
opening it, and getting what i need from it... but what I am trying to
do, is not save it to disk, but to just grab the .zip file, and open it
in memory, grab the file i need from it, and then discard the .zip file,
and parse out the file i grabbed (this would prevent having a folder
with R/W access that could possibly be set wrong, or using the /tmp
folder)

Again, I dont have any issues doing it where i save it first, but when I
try to use the file from memory, i get errors saying that it can't open
the zip file becuase it has no valid resource id#.

The zip commands i am using, are the php ones zip_open, zip_read,
zip_entry_read, zip_entry_name, zip_entry_filesize and obviously
zip_close.

Can this be done, or should I just forget it, and use the /tmp dir?

Steve.

From: Jim Lucas on
Steve Staples wrote:
> Not sure if my subject is misleading or not, but anyway, here it goes...
>
> I am trying to download a file using file_get_contents($url) which
> happens to be a .zip file.
>
> I have no issues downloading the file, saving it to the harddrive,
> opening it, and getting what i need from it... but what I am trying to
> do, is not save it to disk, but to just grab the .zip file, and open it
> in memory, grab the file i need from it, and then discard the .zip file,
> and parse out the file i grabbed (this would prevent having a folder
> with R/W access that could possibly be set wrong, or using the /tmp
> folder)
>
> Again, I dont have any issues doing it where i save it first, but when I
> try to use the file from memory, i get errors saying that it can't open
> the zip file becuase it has no valid resource id#.
>
> The zip commands i am using, are the php ones zip_open, zip_read,
> zip_entry_read, zip_entry_name, zip_entry_filesize and obviously
> zip_close.
>
> Can this be done, or should I just forget it, and use the /tmp dir?
>
> Steve.

Might see if this page will glean you any information

http://us3.php.net/manual/en/wrappers.php.php

I think the php://temp or php://memory will work for you instead of a file on
the file system.

Jim