From: phil oakleaf on
I'm trying to compile with full debug information

In the optimisation I've set
Optimisation Disabled (/Od)

debug info set to
Program Database for Edit & Continue (/ZI)

But the compiler complains
'/O2' and '/ZI' command-line options are incompatible

Any help will be Much appreciated

Phil
From: phil oakleaf on
Giovanni Dicanio wrote:
> phil oakleaf ha scritto:
>> I'm trying to compile with full debug information
>>

>> In the optimisation I've set
>> Optimisation Disabled (/Od)
>>
>> debug info set to
>> Program Database for Edit & Continue (/ZI)
>>

>> But the compiler complains
>> '/O2' and '/ZI' command-line options are incompatible
>>
>> Any help will be Much appreciated
>
> BTW: there is an interesting recent blog post by John Robbins, that you
> may find interesting:
>
> "Correctly Creating Native C++ Release Build PDBs"
> http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2009/08/31/correctly-creating-native-c-release-build-pdbs.aspx
>

> Giovanni
Looks like a great article

many thanks
Phil
From: David Ching on
"phil oakleaf" <news(a)oakleafsoftware.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm trying to compile with full debug information
>

> In the optimisation I've set
> Optimisation Disabled (/Od)
>
> debug info set to
> Program Database for Edit & Continue (/ZI)
>

> But the compiler complains
> '/O2' and '/ZI' command-line options are incompatible
>
> Any help will be Much appreciated

So you say you set /Od but the error says it is set to /O2? Go to the
compiler settings and click on the Command Line option; make sure only one
is set.

-- David

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Did you think of looking at the compiler options? Because "symbols for Edit-and-continue"
is INCOMPATIBLE with /O2 (as already pointed out by the error message), you have to set
the option for symbol information to NOT create symbols for Edit-and-Continue. RTFM. /Zi
creates complete debugging information. So your error was in choosing the wrong kind of
debug information. If you get an error that says explicitly what is wrong, then your
first reaction should be "what do I need to change to make this error go away?" and it
clearly says that if you have optimization set, you cannot use "Program Database for Edit
& Continue". This option would apply only to the debug version, not the release version.
joe

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 23:28:15 +0100, phil oakleaf <news(a)oakleafsoftware.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm trying to compile with full debug information
>

>In the optimisation I've set
>Optimisation Disabled (/Od)
>
>debug info set to
>Program Database for Edit & Continue (/ZI)
>

>But the compiler complains
>'/O2' and '/ZI' command-line options are incompatible
>
>Any help will be Much appreciated
>
>Phil
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: phil oakleaf on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> Did you think of looking at the compiler options? Because "symbols for Edit-and-continue"
> is INCOMPATIBLE with /O2 (as already pointed out by the error message), you have to set
> the option for symbol information to NOT create symbols for Edit-and-Continue. RTFM. /Zi
> creates complete debugging information. So your error was in choosing the wrong kind of
> debug information. If you get an error that says explicitly what is wrong, then your
> first reaction should be "what do I need to change to make this error go away?" and it
> clearly says that if you have optimization set, you cannot use "Program Database for Edit
> & Continue". This option would apply only to the debug version, not the release version.
> joe
>
> On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 23:28:15 +0100, phil oakleaf <news(a)oakleafsoftware.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to compile with full debug information
>>

>> In the optimisation I've set
>> Optimisation Disabled (/Od)
>>
>> debug info set to
>> Program Database for Edit & Continue (/ZI)
>>

>> But the compiler complains
>> '/O2' and '/ZI' command-line options are incompatible
>>
>> Any help will be Much appreciated
>>
>> Phil
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph

thanks for the reply

The problem is that I have Optimisation OFF but the compiler keeps
telling me it is /O2

I really have looked at the compiler options :)

Phil