From: Thomas Kellerer on
Hello,

I'm running into a ora-01461 error when I try to import a dump file that
I have received from a customer.

I have read the notes on metalink regarding possible workarounds for
this issue and I have tried all that I can apply.

The table in question has two VARCHAR2(4000 BYTE) columns.

What I have tried so far:

1) played around with various NLS_LANG settings on the imp client
(Windows XP)

2) decrease the size of the columns to 1000 BYTE each

3) Change the datatype of the two columns to CLOB

4) Metalink mentions setting the buffer size of an OCI program to 4000
to overcome this issue, so I gave imp buffer=4000 a try but also to no avail

But none of them worked. I get the ORA-01461 immediately.

The export was done using WE8ISO8859P1 and my database is AL32UTF8.

It will be very complicated to get a different dump, so I'm wondering if
there is any way I can import the dump into my database.

I'm trying this on my local Oracle installation on a Windows XP machine,
with 10.2.0.1.0 installed

Any ideas what else I could try?

Cheers
Thomas
From: Thomas Kellerer on
On 09.03.2007 17:57 Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> I'm running into a ora-01461 error when I try to import a dump file that
> I have received from a customer.
>
> I have read the notes on metalink regarding possible workarounds for
> this issue and I have tried all that I can apply.
>
> The table in question has two VARCHAR2(4000 BYTE) columns.

[...]
> I'm trying this on my local Oracle installation on a Windows XP machine,
> with 10.2.0.1.0 installed

According to metalink note 241358.1 this should be 'fixed' with Oracle
10. I wonder why fixed is put in quotes, probably because it is
apparently not fixed with Oracle 10 :(

Does anyone know what this 'fixed' means?

Thomas
From: DA Morgan on
Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> On 09.03.2007 17:57 Thomas Kellerer wrote:
>> I'm running into a ora-01461 error when I try to import a dump file
>> that I have received from a customer.
>>
>> I have read the notes on metalink regarding possible workarounds for
>> this issue and I have tried all that I can apply.
>>
>> The table in question has two VARCHAR2(4000 BYTE) columns.
>>
> [...]
>> I'm trying this on my local Oracle installation on a Windows XP
>> machine, with 10.2.0.1.0 installed
>
> According to metalink note 241358.1 this should be 'fixed' with Oracle
> 10. I wonder why fixed is put in quotes, probably because it is
> apparently not fixed with Oracle 10 :(
>
> Does anyone know what this 'fixed' means?
>
> Thomas

Likely it means what you read is older than version 10 and they could
not state, before the fact, that it was definitely fixed.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
From: Matthias Hoys on

"Thomas Kellerer" <TAAXADSCBIXW(a)spammotel.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm running into a ora-01461 error when I try to import a dump file that I
> have received from a customer.
>
> I have read the notes on metalink regarding possible workarounds for this
> issue and I have tried all that I can apply.
>
> The table in question has two VARCHAR2(4000 BYTE) columns.
>
> What I have tried so far:
>
> 1) played around with various NLS_LANG settings on the imp client (Windows
> XP)
>
> 2) decrease the size of the columns to 1000 BYTE each
>
> 3) Change the datatype of the two columns to CLOB
>
> 4) Metalink mentions setting the buffer size of an OCI program to 4000 to
> overcome this issue, so I gave imp buffer=4000 a try but also to no avail
>
> But none of them worked. I get the ORA-01461 immediately.
>
> The export was done using WE8ISO8859P1 and my database is AL32UTF8.
>
> It will be very complicated to get a different dump, so I'm wondering if
> there is any way I can import the dump into my database.
>
> I'm trying this on my local Oracle installation on a Windows XP machine,
> with 10.2.0.1.0 installed
>
> Any ideas what else I could try?
>
> Cheers
> Thomas

You have version 10.2.0.1 ? Maybe you could try to install patch set
10.2.0.3 ? The list of bug fixes can be found on Metalink.

Matthias