From: bugbear on
I just bought an old, much used one of these from eBay.

It works OK, but looks a little beat up.

I would like to give it a good strip/overhaul/restore
before putting it to use; if I don't do
it now, I'll never get round to it.

I don't want to try to reverse
any forging or riveting operations,
since that would likely cause damage.

Can anyone with experience advise
on what disassembly is possible with
these? There are very few screwheads
or fasteners visible to undo.

BugBear
From: bugbear on
bugbear wrote:
>> Oh? You want the simple and easily identifiable name that it is called
>> and
>> sold by in nearly every shopping area known to man?
>>
>> Guess.
>
> Or google, with the information you've given me.

Oh, for anybody else reading, the ATM community
is friendly and open with information; they could
have saved our friend "LOL" 30 years
of excess expenditure:

"I was rebuilding and
refurbishing complex lens and tripod assemblies for over 30 years before I
stumbled on what the stuff was and how to obtain it in consumer circles. "

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3106559/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

I'm guessing astronomical mount and helical focusers have requirments
way in excess of my tripod head - anything that works for them
is gonna' be dandy for me.

BugBear
From: LOL! on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:09:31 +0100, bugbear
<bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:

>bugbear wrote:
>>> Oh? You want the simple and easily identifiable name that it is called
>>> and
>>> sold by in nearly every shopping area known to man?
>>>
>>> Guess.
>>
>> Or google, with the information you've given me.
>
>Oh, for anybody else reading, the ATM community
>is friendly and open with information; they could
>have saved our friend "LOL" 30 years
>of excess expenditure:
>
>"I was rebuilding and
>refurbishing complex lens and tripod assemblies for over 30 years before I
>stumbled on what the stuff was and how to obtain it in consumer circles. "
>
>http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3106559/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1
>
>I'm guessing astronomical mount and helical focusers have requirments
>way in excess of my tripod head - anything that works for them
>is gonna' be dandy for me.
>
> BugBear

Guess again.

LOL!!!!!!!!

From: bugbear on
LOL! wrote:

>> http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3106559/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1
>>
>> I'm guessing astronomical mount and helical focusers have requirments
>> way in excess of my tripod head - anything that works for them
>> is gonna' be dandy for me.
>>
>> BugBear
>
> Guess again.

No need. Anything good enough for a telescope mount
will serve me well.

I don't much care what you're using, and even if I guessed
right, you'd probably just say I'd guessed wrong.

You are therefore *not* a useful source of information,
and the ATM community *is*.

Sorry if this makes you feel unappreciated.

BugBear
From: Bruce on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 05:15:50 -0500, LOL! <lol(a)lol.org> wrote:

>Guess again.

Petroleum jelly, a.k.a. Vaseline?